Disk replacement issue

Bane

Dabbler
Hi all,

I recently had drive in my raid-z fail completely (drive will not even power up). I replaced the drive and in my zpool status, the drive shows up as ada2 instead of gptid.8d...

Is there a way to fix this? Does it need to be fixed? I have found conflicting information via google as to whether or not this situation can cause problems.

Thanks,

What steps did you take to replace the drive? Did you replace it through the web UI? Also, it is generally a good idea to post your system specs in case something is relevant.

Bane

Dabbler
What steps did you take to replace the drive? Did you replace it through the web UI? Also, it is generally a good idea to post your system specs in case something is relevant.

I replaced it through the command line using zpool replace as the failed drive did not show up at all in the Disks list in freenas.

Freenas version: 11.1-U7

Hardware:

Intel xeon e3-1220 v2 @ 3.10ghz
16GB ECC RAM

Drives:
Freenas boot: 120gb SSD

Raid-z
5 - Seagate ST4000DM04 (4tb drives)

If I'm not mistaken there was another post recently about something else where it was noticed that a drive showed up as something other than gptid and the culprit was replacing a drive through the command line rather than through the UI.

I've experienced the same issue of a drive now appearing in the dropdown during disk replacement. I posted about it recently and filed a bug report.

Edit: I found the post.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I replaced it through the command line using zpool replace as the failed drive did not show up at all in the Disks list in freenas.
This, you should never do. Even if the disk did not show up in the disk list, it should have shown up as a faulted device in the pool status. You just didn't follow the guidance in the manual, nor did you consult the forum.

Here is a link to the guide in the resource section:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/replacing-a-failed-failing-disk.75/

Here is the link to the manual page:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.1/storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive

The drive in question, because it was not replaced through the GUI, will not have a swap partition on it, which may impact the system in other ways, but your data is safe.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer