Disk Price/Performance Analysis Buying Information

Disk Price/Performance Analysis Buying Information 01-May-2019

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This is a nice video that I would like to post here so the people making their purchase decision can benefit from this wisdom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazX-e_HnNI

Essentially, buy an appropriate drive for the purpose, but do watch the video as the narrator gives some very good information.

farmerpling2

Patron
farmerpling2 updated Disk Price/Performance Analysis Buying Information with a new update entry:

04-Jul-2017

Sorry for not updating more frequently. Just been busy!

• Added some new drives
  • Updated prices on various NAS, DT drives
Observation:
Prices have been holding pretty steady for last 2-3 months. Some ups and downs, but nothing major. I am seeing some odd drives (i.e. 5TB) are much harder to find and I will probably purge them in another 6-12 months.

If you are looking for deals, you will have a longer lead time than normal, from what I seen. Be patient. I saw 4 HGST...

Read the rest of this update entry...

farmerpling2

Patron
farmerpling2 updated Disk Price/Performance Analysis Buying Information with a new update entry:

Added new column for cost per TB per year including electricity cost...

Updated more prices, as usual. You might see some drive prices show up as "=349.99/2", as a formula in a cost cell. This just means that you have to buy 2 drives (combo) to get the drive price listed.

I have added a new column which should be the end to all, in this spreadsheet, for cost per TB per year including electricity cost. This causes some drives that appeared to not be as cost efficient, to possibly edge out ones with higher electricity costs.

You can choose which column you...

farmerpling2

Patron
Last edited:

farmerpling2

Patron

11-Sep-2018

- Updated pricing
- Cleaned up some of the tables
- Seeing some very good deals (best prices ever) for some drives. Not sure if this is a sign of possible falling prices, but keep your eyes open.

Started a thread in Off Topic for sharing best prices when I (or anyone else) come across them. What good is it if there is a great price and it has expired? Hopefully this will help....

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

farmerpling2

Patron
Trying to update, but .xlsx is not currently allowed to upload. Have to get admin to fix it again.

1552012299785.png

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Your spreadsheet is an amazing treasure trove of hard-to-find data. Many thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanks for letting me know about this. I'll respond back once it's fixed.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

farmerpling2

Patron

26-Apr-2019

Updated bunch of specs on various drives
Updated prices on a bunch of drives
HGST has been merged into WD. I will leave HGST drive/specs around for a while, but will remove in future. (6months - 12 months)
Added WD Ultrastar (HGST replacement) drives

I am thinking about adding SD drives of 1 TB or higher. It will skew data, but it is becoming the future, today.

Still not fixed:

Tried to attach the file named: Disk Price analysis.xlsx and it would not allow the file because the type is...

Attachments

• Disk Price analysis.xlsx
    151.6 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Baenwort

Explorer
I hope @farmerpling2 is doing well as I notice you haven't been on the forums for a few months. There are some new drive sizes that aren't in your list yet.

Does anyone have an alternative resource?