disconnect mgmt nic and lagg goes down

Status
Not open for further replies.

solv

Cadet
Hi,
I've the following version of Freenas: FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-i386 (8288)

I have 3 nics
1 NIC I setup as a management interface with a static ip.
2 other NICS I created a LAGG as LACP and configured my d-link managed switch for LACP mode on the ports and it appears to be working fine.

Problem I have is if I disconnect the management interface I can no longer get data in or out of the nas box from the lagg.

If I disconnect one of the nics in the lagg everything still runs fine as expected (meaning failover is working), but if I disconnect the cable to the management nic then all traffic stops flowing (I tested by logging into the console and trying to ping out of the freenas box as well).

So in summary:

fxp0 is set static to 172.16.0.6 / 24
lagg0 (made up from em0 and re0) is DHCP and that receives 172.16.0.186
I also tried making the lagg0 static at 172.16.0.7 but it made no difference.

Does anyone know what the freak is going on?

Also how would I be able to tell that when I access my shares it is really flowing through the lagg0 and not through the management nic?
I have a DNS server pointing the hostname (firestore) to 172.16.0.186 as well so when browsing samba shares the hostname and netbios names match just to ensure I'm not somehow accessing the shares via the 172.16.0.6 address.

P.S. the reason I care about this is I don't wanna use up an extra port in my switch just for managing the system - I want to plug in only when I need to.

solv

Cadet
Okay so I did some digging and think maybe it's a routing issue - as in the lagg0 isn't being routed anywhere? Here is the output of netstat -r

Internet:
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
default clearos UGS 0 120 fxp0
localhost link#4 UH 0 0 lo0
172.16.0.0 link#5 U 0 3910735 lagg0
172.16.0.6 link#3 UHS 0 0 lo0
firestore link#5 UH 1 0 lagg0

Should lagg0 also be using the default gw? (My gateway is a clearos at 172.16.0.254)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.