SOLVED Disabling daily run output

cogprying

Dabbler
Has anyone come up with a solution for disabling the useless daily run output?

I've searched on the forum and found some threads where there's a script - but that also says it no longer works, a suggestion to add a feature to allow turning it off - which doesn't seem to have happened, and a lot of "Why not just leave it on? It's good for you: BSD always knows what's best for you" and the other usual condescension.

There's absolutely no reason I, a simpleton user who thought FreeNAS was 'the' solution to have zfs and merely wants a somewhat reliable way of storing barely 24tb of data, should be getting an email with this every day:
Code:
Local system status:
 3:01AM  up 41 days, 6:20, 0 users, load averages: 0.87, 0.53, 0.43

I'm happy to edit a file after every upgrade: after all, I already have to do that to disable the 4 lines per second of mDNSResponder error message syslog spam (because even if you want nothing to do with zeroconf, you're gonna get it. )

Since this question's been asked over and over, can someone post a straightforward answer of what file to edit to excise this stupidity? Certainly it must have been dealt with since 2013: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/disabling-daily-security-run-output-emails.11623/

Thanks.

m0nkey_

MVP
The only time FN sends an e-mail if something changed with the config or if there is an error.

If I add a dataset, restart a jail or whatever, then the following morning I will receive an e-mail. All other times it's quiet as it just sits there doing it's thing.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Has anyone come up with a solution for disabling the useless daily run output?

I've searched on the forum and found some threads where there's a script - but that also says it no longer works, a suggestion to add a feature to allow turning it off - which doesn't seem to have happened, and a lot of "Why not just leave it on? It's good for you: BSD always knows what's best for you" and the other usual condescension.

There's absolutely no reason I, a simpleton user who thought FreeNAS was 'the' solution to have zfs and merely wants a somewhat reliable way of storing barely 24tb of data, should be getting an email with this every day:
Code:
Local system status:
 3:01AM  up 41 days, 6:20, 0 users, load averages: 0.87, 0.53, 0.43

I'm happy to edit a file after every upgrade: after all, I already have to do that to disable the 4 lines per second of mDNSResponder error message syslog spam (because even if you want nothing to do with zeroconf, you're gonna get it. )

Since this question's been asked over and over, can someone post a straightforward answer of what file to edit to excise this stupidity? Certainly it must have been dealt with since 2013: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/disabling-daily-security-run-output-emails.11623/

Thanks.
Freenas version and hardware specs required for every post. Please include them in the body of the message.

Freenas does not send daily email so I have no clue what you are talking about. In freenas 9.1 it did but that was like 5 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cogprying

Dabbler
Are you using the latest version? If not, what version are you using? The behavior you describe is the behavior I'd like; I don't know why it's sending me keep-alive emails now but it makes me twitch!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only time FN sends an e-mail if something changed with the config or if there is an error.
That's not correct--with FN11, it sends the email that's the subject of this thread, every morning. It's harmless, IMO, but it's also pointless, and it violates the general Unix principle of "be quiet unless you have something to say".

Edit: At least it did with 11-RC3 and 11-RC4--I updated my test box last night to 11-RELEASE, but I don't remember if I got one of those emails this morning.

danb35

Hall of Famer

cogprying

Dabbler
Freenas version and hardware specs required for every post. Please include them in the body of the message.

Freenas does not send daily email so I have no clue what you are talking about. In freenas 9.1 it did but that was like 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response, though it seems bereft of information. (FreeNAS sending emails is unrelated to hardware, yes?)
I'm using: FreeNAS-11.0-RC3 (1d8ee7925)

I've been upgrading versions of FreeNAS since around 2011: It's quite possible that there are some stale files. What file(s) do the periodic stuff, specifically, sending the email I noted in my original post?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs manifestly have nothing to do with what's going on here.
I don't care it always helps. We will come to find it he is running a random motherboard that was built to send emails and that is what they are receiving.

You should try upgrading to freenas 11 since it was released yesterday.

cogprying

Dabbler
That's not correct--with FN11, it sends the email that's the subject of this thread, every morning. It's harmless, IMO, but it's also pointless, and it violates the general Unix principle of "be quiet unless you have something to say".

Edit: At least it did with 11-RC3 and 11-RC4--I updated my test box last night to 11-RELEASE, but I don't remember if I got one of those emails this morning.
Thank you. It's refreshing to be listened to and not dismissed with a canned response!

And just an aside, while this is rather trivial, it's sort of the one thing after another. I was trying to figure out (again) how to deal with the log spam from mDNS, which the bug report notes is just chatty and harmless... where on my system is was scrolling (in the web gui) messages about one of my drives failing!

cogprying

Dabbler
I don't care it always helps. We will come to find it he is running a random motherboard that was built to send emails and that is what they are receiving.

What? My motherboard doesn't send emails. Also, it's got a lot of hardware like Realtek and the like, so it's definitely subpar in the elite world of BSD; it wouldn't dare send any emails itself, instead delegating that to higher OSen.

But, hey, if you need hardware to be able to respond to a software issue, I'm game! I'm keen on hearing your helpful response! Here you go:
AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

I know, I know, it's terrible for playing games, but it's pretty darn handy for a NAS.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What? My motherboard doesn't send emails. Also, it's got a lot of hardware like Realtek and the like, so it's definitely subpar in the elite world of BSD; it wouldn't dare send any emails itself, instead delegating that to higher OSen.

But, hey, if you need hardware to be able to respond to a software issue, I'm game! I'm keen on hearing your helpful response! Here you go:
AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

I know, I know, it's terrible for playing games, but it's pretty darn handy for a NAS.
That attitude is unnecessary and will not get you far here. Remember you are asking for help and im doing it because I'm nice and want to help.

cogprying

Dabbler
That attitude is unnecessary and will not get you far here. Remember you are asking for help and im doing it because I'm nice and want to help.

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to you being helpful.

My attitude stems from the hours I spent searching and reading unhelpful posts that never seem to contain an answer, but usually just dismissals, and a response here that my hardware is relevant to something that FreeNAS doesn't do anyway.

It's likely that I have stale files. I'll upgrade to -RELEASE (which I should have done; I didn't think to check again so soon) but chances are, whatever file used to cause these to be sent (see forum link in my original post) is still an issue for me. Are you familiar with this? If not, thank you for responding, but it's unlikely you'll be able to help with my issue.

If it'll help you to help me, I can give you the output of:
Code:
dmesg
pciconf -lvc
usbdevs -v (not in freenas)
camcontrol devlist

I should note I have machines running Windows; thank goodness FreeNAS has a gui so I don't have to know scary console stuff.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That attitude is unnecessary and will not get you far here.
...and demanding information that's manifestly utterly irrelevant is also unnecessary. FreeNAS version is relevant (and yes, the message is there in 11-RELEASE as well). Hardware is not relevant here, and there's absolutely no reason to believe it is (while an IPMI-enabled motherboard can send emails on its own, it sure isn't going to know the system load averages).

@greyproc, it looks like we're dealing with the periodic daily task, a bunch of scripts in /etc/periodic/daily/, and potentially a config file in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf.

Edit: Yep, there it is in periodic.conf, line 119. Set that to NO, and it looks like that gets rid of the messages.

Last edited:

cogprying

Dabbler
@greyproc, it looks like we're dealing with the periodic daily task, a bunch of scripts in /etc/periodic/daily/, and potentially a config file in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf.

Thanks; my first naive approach around a week ago was just to edit the cronjob in the gui; I thought changing just the cronjob...

Oh my! Now I remember! I did do this (script+cronjob): https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-manage-automatic-daily-email-reports.11908/

I just didn't follow the other steps when upgrading; that's how I had blissful years of silence! Though, I'm certain I saw a post claiming the script no longer works after 9.x something. I'll follow the steps again to see; for some reason it just really annoys me to get these nothing happening emails. Thank you for being helpful; I'm grateful for it and appreciate it!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks; my first naive approach around a week ago was just to edit the cronjob in the gui; I thought changing just the cronjob...

Oh my! Now I remember! I did do this (script+cronjob): https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-manage-automatic-daily-email-reports.11908/

I just didn't follow the other steps when upgrading; that's how I had blissful years of silence! Though, I'm certain I saw a post claiming the script no longer works after 9.x something. I'll follow the steps again to see; for some reason it just really annoys me to get these nothing happening emails. Thank you for being helpful; I'm grateful for it and appreciate it!
You're welcome

cogprying

Dabbler
Awesome; thanks.

Should
Code:
/conf/base/etc/defaults/periodic.conf
be edited as well, to make it persist?

And I apologize for my grumpiness here; I use boar, and when I upgraded to -11, obviously, Python 3.x and everything broke, so I had to actually learn about jails, and I'm currently at the "don't even breath on FreeNAS or it'll break" perspective... maybe that's why it telling me it's running each day has tweaked me. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Itamar Croitoru

Dabbler
Just my two cents,

I have a clean install of 11.0-U4 on a VM and it is having the same issue. I also tried the article days ago and it doesn't seem to help at all.

The two bugs are interesting as both are closed as a result of being a duplicate of the other and both seem to just get knocked back to the next version.

Can anyone figure out what at least is the trigger, so that we who are field testing can try to find a workaround until someone resolves a bug about this instead of pushing it off?