SOLVED Difficulties with a Samba 4 Active Directory setup

BeepDog

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS 11.3-U1 and haven't yet upgraded to U2.1.

Originally, pre 11.3, I was using simple LDAP to provide users to the system, and samba was using that LDAP based user setup to authenticate. Everything was great until I upgraded to 11.3, and then none of that worked any more. Everything else worked fine, but I could never figure out how to get simple LDAP directory users showing up for samba working again.

If I could figure out how to completely reset everything samba related, so that there's absolutely no information about it in there, I'd like to know that. I think perhaps something got messed up that isn't going away.

What I ended up doing instead, is to set up a samba4 domain controller, and bind the FreeNAS to that. That has not been without issue either, unfortunately.

I have had tons of problems with my desktop getting errors like "This account is not authorized to connect from this machine." after about 12 hours of being connected. If I log out/login everything works again.

Most recently, as shown in the ticket I filed, I have groups from Active Directory, but not users. I have not yet figured out why suddenly my users have gone away. They were there yesterday :(

I would love to go back to simple LDAP backed users, and have my samba accounts authenticate that way. I don't need an AD controller, as I have no intention of binding my windows boxes to them. The LDAP does more for me than Samba AD can anyway, with sudoers in there, that I can't quite do with AD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BeepDog

Dabbler
I found this thread from a long time back, and I appear to be having many of the same problems.

For some reason, winbind isn't doing the right things.
Code:
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo -i 'DEFIANCE\dkowis'
failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user DEFIANCE\dkowis
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo --uid-to-sid 10001
S-1-5-21-2022112486-4111327446-4197854780-1103
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo -s S-1-5-21-2022112486-4111327446-4197854780-1103
DEFIANCE\dkowis 1
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]#
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo --gid-info 10001
dkowis_group:x:10001:
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo --gid-info 20000
failed to call wbcGetgrgid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for gid 20000
root@freenas[/var/log/samba4]# wbinfo --gid-info 20006
videos:x:20006:

BeepDog

Dabbler
Okay, I think I've actually solved this, but I need it to stay working for a couple days before I have actual confidence that it did actually work.

So finding this obscure post means that somehow, users aren't added to idmap unless all of their groups resolve a GID number. And Domain Users, despite me not using it for anything at all, is made of all users. So if that one doesn't have a gidNumber, no users get entered into getent passwd.

Why did I have users prior to this? Maybe there was some caching going on that didn't get cleared, and so when that cache expired, everything started coming apart at the seams.

I would still like to go back to a simple LDAP based user/password combination, as I don't really need anything Active Directory related, and my LDAP is actually more rich than the Active Directory, with regards to my linux servers.

BeepDog

Dabbler
After at least 12 hours, normally I'd have a disconnection problem, and it has gone away.

So if there's anyone else doing the same thing I'm doing out there, and they run into a problem where users from Samba Active Directory (or possibly microsoft active directory) in FreeNAS don't show up, but groups do, no errors in the logs. This might be your solution.

I tried to include most of the words I searched for, in the hopes that it helps someone else. Good luck!