SOLVED Did I add a hotspare correctly?

spiceygas

Explorer
Very noob question. Did I correctly define this pool as having one hotspare? And presumably if a drive in the Z2 vdev dies then the hotspare will move into it's place automatically.

Pool.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You have a spare in the pool. As long as your autoreplace setting is on for the pool, it will work as you expect:

zpool get autoreplace HDD_POOL_1

spiceygas

Explorer
You have a spare in the pool. As long as your autoreplace setting is on for the pool, it will work as you expect:

zpool get autoreplace HDD_POOL_1
I didn't realize I also needed to set that property. Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I didn't realize I also needed to set that property
I'm no expert on the history of that property, but I have seen it set on in the past on pools where I touched nothing (and had no hotspare), but I just checked another pool now before responding to you and saw it was off (again, no hotspare).

It shows as being default to be off, so I guess you always need to do something to get autoreplace to work on current versions.

That command I shared is just to check the setting... to set it, of course you need to zpool set autoreplace=on HDD_POOL_1

spiceygas

Explorer
I'm no expert on the history of that property, but I have seen it set on in the past on pools where I touched nothing (and had no hotspare), but I just checked another pool now before responding to you and saw it was off (again, no hotspare).

It shows as being default to be off, so I guess you always need to do something to get autoreplace to work on current versions.

That command I shared is just to check the setting... to set it, of course you need to zpool set autoreplace=on HDD_POOL_1
I am surprised that it's off by default. I would assume that someone who bothers to specify a hotspare would want it to be used automatically and start resilvering. But oh well.

Thank you for the help. I got the setting changed.