DHCP Server on Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozefpawelec

Cadet
Hello. I need to start dhcp server on FreeNAS. I tried doing it with this link http://blog.haneefputtur.com/2012/07/installing-enabling-dhcp-in-freenas-8.html , only diffrence I used pkg_add -r isc-dhcp42-server, I did like on tut but when I try /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd start it says

freenas dhcpd:

freenas dhcpd: exiting.
exiting.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd: WARNING: failed to start dhcpd

If someone could help I would be very greatful.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't have any idea how to solve your problem, but I'll put my warning to you regarding what you are planning to do like this:

Anytime you install a FreeNAS upgrade your custom DHCP server will be erased.
When FreeNAS 9.1 comes out(hopefully this summer) it will almost certainly break some of the stuff you are doing.

Overall, I don't think what you are doing is very smart. DHCP is supposed to be run on a server that is on and stable, and any FreeNAS upgrade you do has the potential to really backfire. Basically your network is going to go down every time you install an update. Since the USB stick is mounted as read-only that may cause unforeseen issues that won't rear their ugly head until you've spent a lot of time trying to get this to work. Not to mention that the developers don't recommend you install anything on the system drive because it literally has like 9MB free and it needs all that free space for its logs and such. Start messing with it and you could make the entire server unstable.

Just because someone came up with some guide on how to do it doesn't mean you should, or that it will even work well. One youtube video that was linked a few days ago had someone running ZFS on a system with 2GB of RAM. That's completely stupid, but he did it anyway and people are probably mirroring him because "the guide makes it look okay". And some of us senior guys wonder why so many people ignore the manual saying you need 6GB of RAM and wonder why their server ate their data permanently because they had 2GB of RAM.

Good luck!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
ty for answer, I was just ordered to make dhcp server on freenas so I have to do it.

Whoever ordered you to do so should be slapped in the face. Run DHCP on your network gear (router or a switch that supports it) or on another server (windows, linux, bsd). Dont try to make FreeNAS do everything.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Whoever ordered you to do so should be slapped in the face. Run DHCP on your network gear (router or a switch that supports it) or on another server (windows, linux, bsd). Dont try to make FreeNAS do everything.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Not sure of the exact situation the OP is in, but it sounds like he's just a worker bee doing what the boss said to do. Honestly, I'd want an employee that will tell me if I'm recommending something that is going to bite me in the butt later or is just utterly stupid to begin with. If I knew I had an employee that would do whatever I said no matter how stupid the idea, I'd fire them on the spot.

Remember, if you're the boss you'd want to be told. If you're the worker bee you want your boss to look good. That gives him more control when it comes time to determine which departments have more benefits for the groups that performed well.. and your group performed well because you kept your boss out of trouble and had very high uptimes as a result.

jozefpawelec

Cadet
its for project on my studies and I have nothing to say :( But thx guys for your words, really.

Caesar

Contributor
I don't see any reason why the OP could not run the server in the jail. I've seen many post where others are running MySQL, Apache, PHP... Why would a dhcp server be any different?

sobsawats

Cadet
We do not know the real intention of the boss/teacher who ordered jozefpawelec
to do this. Since (sound like) it is just for study, it would be good to learn/try how to get most of FreeNAS or that machine but, yes, I agree, we do not do this in real life or production.

Status
Not open for further replies.