/dev/hptnr [hpt_disk_1/40/1] - which device is this?

Doogie

Dabbler
I have a Storinator with an LSI RAID running 40 drives. I've occasionally been getting an error for several months which does NOT degrade the RAIDZ3 array or seem to be causing performance or other issues:

Device: /dev/hptnr [hpt_disk_1/40/1], failed to read SMART Attribute Data

I'd like to troubleshoot using the posted "Hard Drive Troubleshooting Guide" on this site but am unsure which drive maps to hpt_disk_1/40/1. I'm used to nomenclature like ada0 or da20 which is what I see in the FreeNAS GUI.

Any ideas as to why I'm getting the failure to read SMART data error, if it matters or not, and to troubleshoot if so? Thanks much.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
hpt refers to (in my experience) a highpoint driver/card.

Are you sure there's not a highpoint HBA or RAID card in the path somewhere there? (maybe a SAS expander?)

If there is, there would be a utility to manage the disks and find the mapping to the numbers.

There are switches for smartctl related to using that reference system to address specific disks, so you may be able to run smartclt and see if you can get it to work for that disk and give you the serial number to match with what you see in the GUI.

I have a Storinator with an LSI RAID running 40 drives. I've occasionally been getting an error for several months which does NOT degrade the RAIDZ3 array or seem to be causing performance or other issues:
If I am understanding correctly you're using hardware RAID with FreeNAS? If so, this is highly adviced against. FreeNAS likes direct access to raw disks because it uses zfs. Putting a hardware raid solution between the disks and zfs interrupts that access and can cause all kinds of issues.

Many people do use RAID cards, but they flash them to IT mode to disable any RAID functionality.

As for your specific use case, you'll have to try to map those IDs to the S/N somehow. Ordinarily I'd suggest gpart list and smartctl -i but I'm not sure what to suggest with that RAID card.

Any ideas as to why I'm getting the failure to read SMART data error, if it matters or not, and to troubleshoot if so? Thanks much.
My bet would be that hardware RAID card.

Doogie

Dabbler
sretalla, you are correct: I do have a Highpoint controller. The new Storinators use LSI, my error. Thank you.

PhiloEpisteme, the Highpoint controller uses passthrough. I mentioned in my post I use RAIDZ3. You are correct in that FreeNAS should control the array, not RAID hardware.

I learned that the Highpoint controller has a new driver, so I'm going to try that next. Thank you both for responding. I did try gpart list, smartctl -i, etc. but this didn't help me identify what hpt_disk_1/40/1 is (but I suspect the RAID error is coming from the controller, not a drive).

PhiloEpisteme, the Highpoint controller uses passthrough. I mentioned in my post I use RAIDZ3. You are correct in that FreeNAS should control the array, not RAID hardware.
Some folks have still mixed hardware RAID with FreeNAS to set up RAIDZ1|2|3 etc and had strange behavior. If you're certain the controller is appropriately passing through the devices perhaps I'm wrong but I am suspicious it is fully exposing the drive to the system.

Maybe it is worth taking a step back. What exact model of controller are you using? What is the firmware version? What is the exact model of the drives you're using? And are you getting any other errors other than Device: /dev/hptnr [hpt_disk_1/40/1], failed to read SMART Attribute Data?

Here is another post talking about something similar suggesting that perhaps even in passthrough mode you might be obscuring some access to your disks inadvertently and that flashing the controller to IT mode may solve the problem.