SOLVED Detach volume before reinstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Hello everyone,

Summary of why I'm doing this : I've been experiencing similar issues as those described in this thread for as long as I can remember, since FreeNAS 9 (long story short : when assigning permissions, I see users that I have deleted months ago; I see a group A that I just added; I don't see a group B that I also just added, and so on and so on => complete mess that doesn't seem to make any sense). I've tried to solve this using many clients; updated to the latest FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2; followed every instructions I could find, with no luck. In the end, my FreeNAS setup seems to be the culprit. Which leads me to my latest attempts at solving this :

I would like to try solving my issue with these two methods :
  1. Reinstall and import my config.
  2. (If method #1 doesn't work) Reinstall and set things up from scratch (i.e. : not importing my config).
In order to do this, I would like to know when / if I am supposed to detach my pool. I read the "Storage" section of the docs (the "Detach Volume" part), and some threads but I'm still not quite sure. I tend to think that since those are both fresh installs (even if the pool stays the same), I should detach my pool beforehand, regardless of wether I import a config later or not. But I would like to be sure.

Also, what about my config : should I back it up while the pool is attached or after detaching it ?

Thanks

Scentle5S

I would back it up before you detach the pool. That is your desired end state, so why not save the config in that state?

Scentle5S

Explorer
That makes sense, I'm not sure why I hesitated on this one.

What about detaching the pool before a new install ? Can you confirm that I should detach beforehand no matter what ?

What about detaching the pool before a new install ? Can you confirm that I should detach beforehand no matter what ?

You have to reboot to do the install which detaches the pool. I wouldn't bother detaching as it will happen anyway.

Scentle5S

Explorer
So that's what I've been missing : sure I knew that the pool was getting imported at every boot (with the "Beginning ZFS volume imports" and "Importing <poolname>" messages), but I didn't realize that this was exactly the same as mounting a pool through the GUI, neither that shutting down does the same "detaching actions" as the GUI (I thought there was more going on behind the scenes).

Thanks for the help ! Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.