Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Desktop Drives

tomahawkeer

So I have seen in a few people's build signatures, they are listing Desktop drives as in use in some of their array's. Isn't this bad juju with ZFS / Freenas?

Newfoundland.Republic

FreeNAS Experienced
I'd say it is up to your risk tolerance.

I have my FreeNAS using NAS drives (WD Reds) in a RAIDZ2 because I want the protection. That is why I back up using rsync to my old Synology NAS (mirrored drives) and then to another, external USB drive. NAS (or Enterprise like WD Gold, Seagate Exos, etc.) are made to be powered on all the time. (I'd stay with NAS drives and the performance of the Gold/Exos drives likely isn't needed in most cases.)

I'd say it is up to your risk tolerance.

I have my FreeNAS using NAS drives (WD Reds) in a RAIDZ2 because I want the protection. That is why I back up using rsync to my old Synology NAS (mirrored drives) and then to another, external USB drive. NAS (or Enterprise like WD Gold, Seagate Exos, etc.) are made to be powered on all the time. (I'd stay with NAS drives and the performance of the Gold/Exos drives likely isn't needed in most cases.)
Cheers - I can't afford the type of disk resiliance that you have but I'll look at getting another 8TB.

tomahawkeer

It's been several years, but I do know that I used WD green drives in an old Drobo 8 bay NAS, and they did NOT work well.

I replaced all of the greens with wd black drives, at the time I think they were considered enterprise desktop drives, and they worked great.

Those were eventually replaced with WD reds, which also worked great. The black drives that were in that array, are ALL still functioning in multiple workstations and are approaching 6 years old. They were used in the NAS for about 2.5 years non-stop

I realize that a Drobo isn't a freenas box, but they do have general functionality in common, so I would like to hear from those who are using desktop based drives, and get some feedback from them.

rvassar

FreeNAS Guru
I'm not sure, as I never buy them, but... I believe the difference is the firmware loaded on the drive controller. Specifically:

1. Multiple drive vibration reaction. Ala: The drive next to me just did a long seek, vs. I've been dropped, park heads now.
2. Degree of SMART diagnostic compliance.