Dell R610 and Three Dell R510 and how to LAG them together

Jamison

Cadet
I have NO EXPERIENCE at servers.
Mostly standalone PC
I was recently given (1) R610 and (3) R510 with 12 bay SAS storage.
Dual Xeon E5620
Dual internal HDD
RAM=48GB
iDRAC6
H700
Broadcomm 4 port GB NIC card
Built in 2 port NIC
Each has a working version of Microsoft Server 2008R2

I want to connect them together to make one huge storage under RAID10.
I have a Unifi 24 port switch

I want to utilize all the NIC ports if possible.

My purpose is to install VMS on the R610 and direct all video surveillance recording to the R510's for storage.

Can I please have a thourgh instruction on how to do this?
I would even be willing to pay if needed.
This is also going to be learning lesson for me.

Thanks in advance for the detailed help!!

Would also like to learn how to VLAN this.
I am currently experiencing some lag on my network due to all the IP cameras traffic (21 IP cameras with dual streams)
I've been reading on VLAN and would like to seperate my home PC's, wifi, IoT (alexa and light controlled switches), cameras from each other but still need the ability to use client software on the PC to view the VMS server (R610)

I can't seem to wrap my head around tagging, untagged, trunked, and how I should apply it to case.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
LAGG is for combination of network ports on one server to provide more bandwidth to many clients. It has nothing to do with combining servers together. The technology for want you want exists but is well beyond your skill set.

I would also not recommend setting up and using vlans untill you understand what they do. If your network is slow from all the cameras, it will likely still be slow with vlans. You need separate switch's or better design for better performance not just logical segregation.

As for the servers you have, the h700 is a raid card. This is BAD with FreeNAS as FreeNAS performs all the required raid functions and is far better than a entry level raid card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Not good for FreeNAS, unless you can figure out how to flash it with the IT mode firmware, which could possibly be done, but I am sure it is not easy.
Here is a video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82s_WYv3nU
Broadcomm 4 port GB NIC card
Probably better off selling these on eBay and getting some 10Gb network cards and an inexpensive 10Gb switch.
We can make recommendations.
I want to connect them together to make one huge storage under RAID10.
If you want to aggregate the storage of more than one server, you are looking for something that is not FreeNAS.
GlusterFS might be an option. Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRsvFZZa5E
Can I please have a thourgh instruction on how to do this?
No. We can point you at a resource and you can read the manual like everyone else.
I am currently experiencing some lag on my network due to all the IP cameras traffic (21 IP cameras with dual streams)
That sounds like you need a separate network for the video cameras so it does not interfere with regular traffic because the switch will still be congested even if the data is on a vlan.

Jamison

Cadet
LAGG is for combination of network ports on one server to provide more bandwidth to many clients. It has nothing to do with combining servers together. The technology for want you want exists but is well beyond your skill set.

I would also not recommend setting up and using vlans untill you understand what they do. If your network is slow from all the cameras, it will likely still be slow with vlans. You need separate switch's or better design for better performance not just logical segregation.

As for the servers you have, the h700 is a raid card. This is BAD with FreeNAS as FreeNAS performs all the required raid f
Not good for FreeNAS, unless you can figure out how to flash it with the IT mode firmware, which could possibly be done, but I am sure it is not easy.
Here is a video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82s_WYv3nU

Probably better off selling these on eBay and getting some 10Gb network cards and an inexpensive 10Gb switch.
We can make recommendations.

If you want to aggregate the storage of more than one server, you are looking for something that is not FreeNAS.
GlusterFS might be an option. Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRsvFZZa5E

No. We can point you at a resource and you can read the manual like everyone else.

That sounds like you need a separate network for the video cameras so it does not interfere with regular traffic because the switch will still be congested even if the data is on a vlan.
Thanks everyone.

I'm not running a freenas. I'm just setting this up strickly for Camera VMS Only.
I forgot to mention I have the IP POE cameras connected to a Unifi 24 port POE switch
A manual would be awesome - I have no problems reading it like everyone else - I just didn't think there was a manual for what I want to do

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm not running a freenas. I'm just setting this up strickly for Camera VMS Only.
It is a FreeNAS forum. If it isn't about FreeNAS, there may not be many people that can help you. There are a few folks on here that do surveillance camera systems, but It is not the focus of the forum.
I hope that someone can assist you.