Degraded pool - bad or missing disk?

Redcoat

MVP
Been following this thread with interest.

Have you reconsidered the question of flashing your raid card: Asus Pike 2008 - running the LSI 2008 chipset in jbod mode to IT mode? It seems like it's an unknown quantity here.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Why am I lacking "replicas" for this pool to continue functioning?
mirror-0 is still intact and fine, but your pool is not because your pool is a stripe of mirror-0 AND mirror-1.

A stripe is entirely no good if any of its VDEVs are no good.

James S

Explorer
Missed we'd got to a second page....
Have you reconsidered the question of flashing your raid card: Asus Pike 2008 - running the LSI 2008 chipset in jbod mode to IT mode? It seems like it's an unknown quantity here.
I'm open to doing this. I've not flashed a card - so need to research how to do this.
But - I'm wondering why a problem should show up with the hardware (like this) after 6 months of apparent ok operation.
mirror-0 is still intact and fine, but your pool is not because your pool is a stripe of mirror-0 AND mirror-1.

A stripe is entirely no good if any of its VDEVs are no good.
Seems like I've screwed up my initial configuration which explains why nothing is going to build. Now to pray the backup of the VMs (to a seperate HDD and on another machine) is what it promises to be.

Thanks

James S

Explorer
Thanks. It looks like this supports scheduling of machine backup. Is the result the flat file etc. on the target device? I'm hoping to run this over SSH too.

James S

Explorer
Veeam Community Edition (free) is your best bet for smaller environments.
I've been taking a look. The backup seems to be a zip which kind of commits everything to Veam (when you need to get stuff back).
It also requires a windows server which is yet another type to manage.
... I'm wondering why Veam, for example, over xsi-backup. The latter seem lighter and doesn't committ to a locked up zip?

Jessep

Patron
Veeam is one of if not the biggest player in the VM backup market. They are the go to standard for enterprise backup. They are offering a pretty much feature complete community version for free, likely to entice more people onto the platform. Microsoft does something similar with free software to university students.

You are welcome to go in any direction that works for you, my interest was in pointing out a free product that has wide industry support and is enterprise quality/features.

James S

Explorer
I'd seen they were the go-to for the big companies but at an equally big price! So the community version makes them a possible. Thanks for putting in back on the list.