Dataset in Jail

0x4161726f6e

Dabbler
ESXi 6.7.0
FreeNAS-11.2-U3
VM - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v3 @ 1.80GHz (4 cores)
VM - 32 GiB
Passthrough - Fusion-MPT 12GSAS SAS3008
8 HDD X 2 vDev RaidZ2 with 1 Spare
Jail 11.2-RELEASE-p9

I am setting up CommVault to backup a dataset, I have the agent software installed into a jail, and I just need to make the dataset (complete with snapshots and ZFS metadata) visible to the jail/CommVault. I have not been able to find useful info on this.

0x4161726f6e

Dabbler
Sorry for the delayed reply, other things took priority (which is a bit of a sin). I was reading some posts and man pages that made this seem doable but difficult, but I seem to have lost track of those pages. I'll be getting back into this problem, but it will probably be slow going.

0x4161726f6e

Dabbler
Update:
I have gone another route is solving my problem. This is in part a changing in requirements; no longer trying to send snapshots to tape because tapes in this environment are a backup of a backup. And CommVault doesn't support the full snapshot and metadata features of ZFS, it reads ZFS in that it asks the host system for data from ZFS. CommVaults greatest support of ZFS seems to be in using it as a backup destination and taking advantage of ZFS snapshots.

So FreeNAS has datasets and Zvols replicated to it, Zvols are replicated to files local to FreeNAS, then the CommVault agent in a jail sends the data to tape via a Windows server running the tape library.