Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

CURRENT repo status

Rod Myers

FreeNAS Guru
taken from telegram:

Ken Moore, [07.01.20 09:45]
Heads up: The CURRENT package repos that were depricated ~3 months ago are going to be getting disabled here shortly. Please switch over to the STABLE repo or to the FreeBSD/TrueOS repos themselves for continued package access.

Ken Moore, [07.01.20 09:45]
The STABLE repos will be getting disabled in ~3 months from now, according to the schedules we posted a while back

mauror

Please switch over to the STABLE repo or to the FreeBSD/TrueOS repos themselves for continued package access.
can you please direct me to the pertinent post of this "how to"? I know have read this in the past but I've lost it.
Thank you much :)

groenveld

FreeNAS Experienced
can you please direct me to the pertinent post of this "how to"? I know have read this in the past but I've lost it.
/QUOTE]

# sysup -change-train Trident-stable

But I recommend you migrate to something that's not EOL, perhaps GhostBSD or upstream FreeBSD.
John
groenveld@acm.org

mauror

# sysup -change-train Trident-stable

But I recommend you migrate to something that's not EOL, perhaps GhostBSD or upstream FreeBSD.
John
Thank you John, in fact I was asking how to set FreeBSD repository/update package to keep Trident BSD based, I already am on Trident-stable which I read is being dismissed

Rod Myers

FreeNAS Guru
Thank you John, in fact I was asking how to set FreeBSD repository/update package to keep Trident BSD based, I already am on Trident-stable which I read is being dismissed
There are no more updates, for either train.

it's a fresh install of whatever OS you choose

mauror

There are no more updates, for either train.

it's a fresh install of whatever OS you choose
So I mistranslated "....
or to the FreeBSD/TrueOS repos themselves for continued package access"
I've found the thread I remembered about, here :

it seems left open with such possibility to be verified (Trident installation could point to OpenBSD/FreeBSD repository-package)

Rod Myers

FreeNAS Guru
the trident repos will disappear.

trueos is a server product, and they should be around. but changing from the trident repo to trueos repos will not work.

Why stay on trident stable, which is over 3 months out of date, and will disappear in a few months?

The officlal trident support channel is on telegram -> https://t.me/ProjectTrident

groenveld

FreeNAS Experienced
You can point pkg at GhostBSD.ORG's repo and pkg upgrade to GhostBSD 20.01, but you'll need to install the mysql user first due to a pkg bug and you'll be left with some Trident detritus that will require manual clean-up.
John
groenveld@acm.org

Barulheira

It seems TrueOS is abandoned. No commits since Jan 6th, and no releases since Aug 2019.

Barulheira

The downloads' page points to 2019 August's release.
This qualifies as abandoned to me.

mauror

ok, lets switch to a painless mode for those ones like me that wish to remain in BSD core but do not have engineering knowledge for catching the BSD repositories.
All the app versions and system configuration reached by now is satisfactory enough to remain like they are for months, pheraps for years. The only app that should be updated most frequently I believe is the internet browser, Falkon.
Could someone suggest a way to get this browser updated when needed?
Thank you

mauror

the point is that starting 2018 I could solve many config/drivers/system/devices issues in many steps and scripts modifications, till few weeks ago where I finally could get also hearphones play sound when plugged in (just to mention last problem fixed), all thanks to the suggestions received here and in the trueos discourse community before. Are we sure that just by keeping the actual home directory will be enough to have back same working configured system like it is now ? My feeling discourages me to try this.

groenveld

FreeNAS Experienced
Are we sure that just by keeping the actual home directory will be enough to have back same working configured system like it is now ? My feeling discourages me to try this.
You will lose your configuration changes in /boot and /etc if you re-install with GhostBSD or FreeBSD.
ISTR neither the GhostBSD nor FreeBSD installers supports installing into a boot environment which would allow you to recover your customizations via beadm mount.

John
groenveld@acm.org

mauror

so I would stay with this release getting the Falkon updates when necessary.
Tks

Barulheira

I have a Linux spare partition which is not being use for a while. It's likely I'm going to install another BSD system on it some day, and see how it works. Then, perhaps I move my data to this new partition, or else I dare to replace my Trident TrueOS system by a fresh install of that BSD with the same setup.
As it goes, I'll probably stick with Trident TrueOS 12.1 STABLE for some time. It's working pretty well.