Cross Flash HP H220 to LSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullerms

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have seen quite a few references to cross flashing the HP H220 to LSI firmware, and I followed the instructions in these two links

Link 1
Link 2

However, I am unable to get version 14 of sas2flsh to work in order to flash version 20 of the LSI firmware. I keep getting the "failed to initialize PAL" message even though I have disabled UEFI in the system BIOS. The bootable USB was created by using RUFUS on a windows 10 machine btw.
  1. What could be causing the PAL error? I even tried the procedure on an old Vista machine with UEFI disabled in the BIOS, I still get the error.
  2. Is version 14 of sas2flash available for a EFI environment? I have only seen version 15 and above. Will the version 15 installer allow me to cross flash from HP to LSI in an UEFI shell?
Any suggestions on how to proceed?

fullerms

Dabbler
I finally got this done by booting off a Linux Live image, and flashing to LSI firmware using version P14 of the linux installer. Trying to use the latest installer still gives the error about the card being a non-lsi card.

While executing ./sas2flash -c 0 -list, I noticed that the Board Assembly and Board Tracer number details are now marked as N/A after flashing to the LSI firmware. Will that be an issue? Is it possible to enter those details again?

And the NVData version is 14.01.00.06 which I assume is picked up from the installer version. Will that be an issue?

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

sfcredfox

Patron

fullerms

Dabbler
Well, I had some issues flashing my HP 221. It was because the same HP part number was two different PCI bus versions, and actually different LSI cards. CHeck out this post: https://www.willglynn.com/2014/11/10/lsi-sas-firmware-nonsense/

Maybe that is related to this issue, maybe not...

I finally figured out that the HP H220 D1 stepping is a rebranded LSI9207-8i. Flashed with 9207-8i without any issues, but had to do it on Linux. And here's another issue with the whole process. You cannot erase the flash on Linux because it is not supported.

fullerms

Dabbler
Here is an excellent article on how to do the flashing from the EFI shell. This worked for me on a system where my usual method of using a FreeDOS USB stick didn't work.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-flash-lsi-9211-8i-using-efi-shell.50902/

I think that guide will not apply when cross flashing from OEM to LSI firmware, because the P20 installer does not allow to cross flash. Only the P14 installer allows that, but I have not come across an EFI version of P14.

Status
Not open for further replies.