Creating a RAIDZ2 with 10 drives is an OK setup?

mhweb

Explorer
Is there a method that will allow the creation of storage pool that provides the ability to expand storage one drive at time that offers parity protection while maximizing available storage?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there a method that will allow the creation of storage pool that provides the ability to expand storage one drive at time that offers parity protection while maximizing available storage?
There is a plan in development that would allow a single disk to be added to a RAIDz2 vdev to expand capacity. It may be more than a year before that feature is available. It has been in the works since 2017. Take a look at this:

Regardless of the ability to expand a vdev by adding more disks, no vdev should have more than 10 disks. Best performance is had by adding more vdevs.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might want to take a look at this video because it tells a lot about ZFS that could help you make some decisions.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Chris Moore Interesting about the loudness of the drives, I was under the impression that WD drives were a little quieter than Seagate.
I think this is the same / similar question that I already answered elsewhere:
It is a moving target. Every time a new model comes out there is the potential for a different answer. I have had some Toshiba drives also and the ones I had were even quieter and cooler than the Seagate drives, but I had an unacceptably high failure rate from the model Toshiba drives I had.
Here is a link to a post I made about it: