Create SMB Share of root dataset with full control

gregp76

Cadet
I had an older FreeNAS system that suddenly stopped booting. I used the system as a photo storage solution for my wife's photography business. She and I access the content from multiple windows machines just on our local network.

I was able to get FreeNAS 11.3 up and running now and import the original pool. Evidently that pool was setup with all of my data on a root dataset. Now I'm trying to setup the share to put everything back the way it was. I can setup the share, and log in from Windows, but only with read access. I can't seem to find a way to establish full control for that root dataset. I've been able to create sub-datasets and manage the permissions to that without any problems, but that means all of my data needs to move to the sub dataset. Trying to just establish full control to the root dataset instead.

Don't know a lot about this stuff. Was able to get the FreeNAS up and running years ago and keep updates on it, but haven't done much more than that.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I had an older FreeNAS system that suddenly stopped booting. I used the system as a photo storage solution for my wife's photography business. She and I access the content from multiple windows machines just on our local network.

I was able to get FreeNAS 11.3 up and running now and import the original pool. Evidently that pool was setup with all of my data on a root dataset. Now I'm trying to setup the share to put everything back the way it was. I can setup the share, and log in from Windows, but only with read access. I can't seem to find a way to establish full control for that root dataset. I've been able to create sub-datasets and manage the permissions to that without any problems, but that means all of my data needs to move to the sub dataset. Trying to just establish full control to the root dataset instead.

Don't know a lot about this stuff. Was able to get the FreeNAS up and running years ago and keep updates on it, but haven't done much more than that.
Post "getfacl" output for the subdataset that has correct permissions and then "getfacl" output for the root of the pool. ex: "getfacl /mnt/tank".

gregp76

Cadet
Here you go. Thanks for looking.

For the subdataset:
root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/Photos/subds
# file: /mnt/Photos/subds
# owner: root
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
user:smbuser:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:----------------------------:allow

For the root dataset:
# file: /mnt/Photos
# owner: 1001
# group: smbuser
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd-----:allow

gregp76

Cadet
OMGoodness. Working now. Noticed that the owner is 1001 instead of root. Was assuming it was created as root. Appreciate you looking at this. You asking for the getfacl allowed me to see the info. Thanks so much