Crashplan or alternative?

asw2012

Contributor
I am researching cloud backup of my 30TB FreeNAS box. It seems that Crashplan would be the clear easy choice. I am having 2nd thoughts on Crashplan now because I am seeing some statements that it's a terrible company, might be having infrastructure problems. I can't ascertain any specifics as those people have not laid out details, but these type of statements are a little concerning. How has everyone's experience on these forums been?

What suggestions might people have besides Crashplan?

adrianwi

Guru
I used to be a big Crashplan fan, and do still use it, but some of the decisions they have made and the level of support makes me think they're not too far away from trying to ditch users like me at the very first opportunity they can get. I really need to find some time to investigate other cloud options.

asw2012

Contributor
Thanks for the information. I am still researching other alternatives to Crashplan.

MikeyG

Patron
I've been using Crashplan to backup my NAS for about 5 years now. I have about 15TB stored with them, which ends up being about 22TB because of their versioning that goes back in time. Uploads and downloads hit about 200mbps for me. No other problems. I've contacted support multiple times and they've always been responsive. I have a normal small business account, but I've also deployed their enterprise version for companies, and my experience with them there has also been good.

Curious to know what issues you've heard about and what else you find.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Works great for me about 1tb backed up. Mostly just home directory stuff.

katit

Contributor
Guys, do you care to share how exactly your run Crashplan on your FreeNAS? I used to have it in "jail" with lot's of issues, then I installed it headless on Centos VM but it "broke" after awhile and wouldn't update anymore.

Is there current correct way of running Crashplan on FreeNAS?

MikeyG

Patron
Mine runs off an Ubuntu VM on ESXi, not within FreeNAS itself anywhere. Just mounted the SMB shares I want to backup, pointed the Crashplan client to it, and that's it. No issues aside from maintenance time on the archive which isn't related to how I set it up.

Heracles

Wizard
You are always better served by yourself :smile:

I do my own backups and disaster recovery thanks to my 3 FreeNAS servers on 2 different sites...

MikeyG

Patron
You are always better served by yourself :)

I do my own backups and disaster recovery thanks to my 3 FreeNAS servers on 2 different sites...

That's assuming you have access to different sites. I've got one site, my home, with one backup server. Something like Crashplan is a nice cheap way to get a 3rd backup going. I have yet to find anything else that's as cheap for multiple TB of data.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I run it in a separate Linux VM not on freenas. I just backup my home directory share.

asw2012

Contributor
I've actually installed duplicati. It's a very straight forward install and pretty easy to configure. Compression is OK too. I've got it backing up to my Onedrive, about 750MB of my most important files now. I've got a total of about 12TB of movies and music, until I figure out a way to increase my storage on Onedrive. If something completely disastrous happens at my NAS server location, to lose the movies and music, I'm OK with that.

rexit1982

Dabbler
I've been using Duplicati as well, takes a little bit to get all the mounts setup if you run it in a jail, but every time I have test restored it has worked. I'm sending all my data to Backblaze b2 object store, super cheap. I'm shipping ~1.3 TB up there. There is a community plugin that should get you a running jail pretty quickly, I made it and use it so it shouldn't toast anything too bad.

Heracles

Wizard
That's assuming you have access to different sites.

Don't you have any friend or family member in your life ??? Here, my second place is my father's basement where I put my server in a corner where nobody will ever touch it. I deployed a UPS an my FreeNAS server there and it is sync over VPN every 15 minutes...

adrianwi

Guru
Mine is running on Ubuntu 18.4 server inside a FreeNAS bhyve VM with NFS mounts to the various datasets I wanted to be backed up (around 2.5TB). I've installed a lightweight desktop and VNC access to manage everything through the Crashplan app. Generally speaking, it works OK and for $120/year is still pretty good value.

katit

Contributor
Mine is running on Ubuntu 18.4 server inside a FreeNAS bhyve VM with NFS mounts to the various datasets I wanted to be backed up (around 2.5TB). I've installed a lightweight desktop and VNC access to manage everything through the Crashplan app. Generally speaking, it works OK and for $120/year is still pretty good value.
I will follow your route then. Give it another go, maybe it will work better then CentOS (which is not officially supported by Code42 anyway)
Reading your blog...