CPU suggestion for Plex@FreeNAS? – Better than Intel Core i3-4370?

TheWoo

Explorer
FreeNAS Version#: 11.2-U5
Plex Server Version#: 1.16.5.1554

I run the latest Plex Server on FreeNAS, which is using an ASRock E3C226D2I motherboard with Intel Core i3-4370 | (CPUBenchmarknet) | (CPUMonkey), 16 GB RAM and 6 pcs. WD Blue 5 TB HDDs. Booting from SanDisk 32 GB USB-Stick (with backup stick).

My problem is that 1080p playback on an Apple TV 4 (non 4K; attached via 100 Mbit Ethernet) sometimes stutters with direct playback or with transcoding at high datarates.

I'm looking for suggestions for a better, faster, energy efficient CPU, which fits the FCLGA1150 socket in my above motherboard and provides the biggest bang for the buck. I'm looking at low-cost, not high-end.

Ideas? Or tip which specific spec to look for when checking benchmarks?

I get crazy over the fact that there are approx. 40 different models of each i3/i5/i7 in each generation. Holy shit, which one to pick!?

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
hmm .. I run an older Xeon E31230 over wireless and wired on PC's and a couple Xbox's .. as well as streaming away from home .. up to 6 devices playing something at once .. maybe it's something else that is the issue here? I convert all my stuff to .mp4's .. and have them all squished to around to 2GB in size if 1080p .. (bigger/longer movies sometimes run up towards 3GB though).. I also run 32GB of ECC DDR3, dono if that helps with streaming stuff or not..

wouldn't want you to spend money on upgrading and then still have the same issues

TheWoo

Explorer
Converting all my media into mp4s is not an option for me. I had an in-depth discussion on this issue over at the Plex forum. Long story short: Upgrading to the Apple TV 4K (5th gen, A10 CPU) has resolved my playback issues. It is much snappier than the Apple TV 4 (4th gen, A8 CPU).