Corsair H80i V2 CPU Cooler

rfielder

Explorer
Does anyone know if the Corsair H80i v2 cpu cooler will work under FreeNAS/FreeBSD?

It seems to rely on the Corsair Link software, which is Windows only. I don't know if you can just plug it into a PWM fan header and have it controlled and read correctly under a non-Windows environment.

Any experiences with this or similar products?

Thanks in advance!

rfielder

Explorer
After doing a bit of research, I am going to add a second query to this thread.

Does anyone know of an AIO CPU water cooler that does not depend on special software?

What I think would work is a solution where the pump just runs when plugged in, and all the fans are just PWM controlled by the motherboard and standard fan control software as used by FreeNAS.

In other words, a dumb solution. With the cooling equivalent of a Corsair H80i V2 or similar.

FYI: I don't like having a huge air cooler hanging off my motherboard. It always looks to me like one good bump and you end up picking up pieces of your motherboard from the floor!! I know that isn't really true, and I have used a Noctua CPU cooler in the past without issue, but still....

And since my servers sit in the furnace room, and do need to be moved on occasion for cleaning, etc, the bumps to the cases may actually occur.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you read the manual for those all-in-one water cooled systems, it just tells you to plug one PWM into any powered header and the other to the CPU FAN header. (going on my experience with the H60)

Reading the install guide for your model, I now see that it talks about connecting the pump to the CPU FAN header and then has a USB connection for the radiator control, so different from mine.

I anticipate based on my experience with it that there's more than enough cooling power there to just run it at a constant moderate speed (which is also quiet).

rfielder

Explorer
The more I read and think the more I question using anything that is not a simple solution. Perhaps an AIO is not the best idea.

An air cooler with fans that work may be the way to go.

In my setup noise is not a factor at all. The server will set in a room that is seldom visited. It can be loud and that is ok.

I like Noctua but there are issues reported with their fans under FreeNAS control. Guess I will have to dig a bit more on that brand. Also see if anyone is using a be quiet! Dark Rock 4.

sretalla