Core i5-9400F based server

icdadmin

Dabbler
Considering the following hardware for a FreeNAS server that will be used to serve up shared directories to around 40 users, though with only approximately 10 at a time reading/writing small files, such as MS Word or Excel documents. The drives will be 6-3TB drives and the pool will be setup as ZFS Raidz-3. No VMs at this point.

Intel Core i5-9400F Desktop Processor
MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM (I'm planning on installing 2 of these, bringing RAM to 32GB)
EVGA GeForce 210 1024 MB DDR3 Video Card (nothing fancy, just to drive a monitor when needed)
Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 3TB SATA 6Gb. (again, will have 6 of these)

The case will not be anything fancy, just something to hold all the drives and components.

One thing I'm wondering is if the i5-9400F will be ok with parity calculations for ZFS Raidz-3.

Last edited:

Bozon

Contributor
Read the hardware guide, the motherboard looks like the common mistake people make when not reading the hardware guide. It looks like a gaming board with no support of ECC ram, and a bunch of things that FreeNAS can't even use, like audio. The hardware guide is in the resource section.

Yorick

Wizard

icdadmin

Dabbler
Thank you both. I think I'll be going with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6 and a Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O motherboard. Initially, I'll put 16GB EEC RAM in it, keeping two slots open for later upgrading.

xcqn

Cadet
Thank you both. I think I'll be going with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6 and a Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O motherboard. Initially, I'll put 16GB EEC RAM in it, keeping two slots open for later upgrading.
That should do it.
Graphic-card is not needed. That board has int-graphics and most importantly IPMI.

Yorick

Wizard
Very nice board. The ssh can boot off an m.2 if you want to keep all sata free for storage.
1230 is plenty cpu for fileserve. If you’re planning plex you might consider 1225