Cooling strategy for fractal design node 804-input wanted

Ceetan

Contributor
As my build is nearing completion, I started thinking a bit about my cooling strategy. I know that some people have simply use the default fans coming with the case and been happy with that. Due to circumstances, I feel that added feens might be useful for me.

Currently, my plan is to set up the fans like this, But I am curious to hear about what other owners of the case have done, since there are several options. Input would be much appreciated.

@Mark Holtz
@nojohnny101 @R.G. @u6f6o

Stux

MVP
The super micro boards are designed such that fans1..5 are CPU/case fans and Fan A is for peripherals, ie HDs

The 804 has a separate HD zone to the system zone afaik, and I would suggest using the numbered headers for the system zone and then split the fan a header to run the HD zone.

You should then just be able to run using HeavyIO mode. Or alternative a fan controller script like my hybrid CPU/HD fan controller script would work.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I posted my fan setup in another thread, which I'm too lazy to find (you can try searching through some of my posts if you want).

I was seeing hot drives in my setup (see primary machine below in signature) so I bought some noctua fans and spent more time editing the BIOS and fan profiles based upon CPU temperature (i know, not the best, but that is all i had time to play with and BIOS was limited in how I could control fans).

EDIT: here is the thread where I explain in detail: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/thumbs-up-for-the-fractal-node-804.25449/#post-310133

I'm running a Node 804 with 6 4TB WD Red drives. I'm using three fans, in the positions labeled 2, 3, & 4 in your drawing. The fans in positions 3 & 4 are controlled by a script that controls the rpm as a function of the average HD temperature. The average temperature is set to 36.67 deg C, and it normally runs with those fans close to idle rpm. Even at max load, the sustained load cycle is less than 50%. Bottom line: you might not need the fan in position A. But, you'll find during your testing.

alwu

Dabbler
i'm new to freenas, building a server, and really new to dealing with cooling. i'm working on my first freenas build with these parts. this isn't a full list. just the relevant parts for this discussion
  • Supermicro X11-SSM-F motherboard
  • Intel Core i3-7320 with the stock cooler
  • 6 x 2TB WD Red drives
  • Kingston A400 120GB SSD (boot/freenas drive)
  • Fractal Design Node 804 case
the case comes with 3 120mm fans. using @Ceetan's drawing, they come pre-installed in positions 2 and 4. instead of a fan in position 3, it's in the position to the left of it. so there are intake and exhaust fans for the cpu/mobo side of the case and just an exhaust fan for the disk side. i'm still working on assembly so i haven't done any burn in yet. should i have the fans in positions 2, 3, and 4 instead?

i have 4 drives in the cage by the front of the case and 2 drives in the cage by the back of the case. for the 2 drive cage, the drives are spaced apart as much as possible; 2 drives worth of space. is this layout ok or should i go with a different layout? the ssd is mounted in the front panel.

You are going to have to try it and see what drive temperatures you get at various fan switch selections.

alwu

Dabbler
thanks. i'll put the fans in positions 2, 3, and 4, connect them to the fan headers on the motherboard, and go from there.

francisaugusto

Contributor
Folks, just one question: is there a way to install fans on the top on the HD side of the node 804 without preventing the use of the two HDD cages? I tried to experiment with a different layout but didn't succeed.
I'm running a Node 804 with 6 4TB WD Red drives. I'm using three fans, in the positions labeled 2, 3, & 4 in your drawing. The fans in positions 3 & 4 are controlled by a script that controls the rpm as a function of the average HD temperature.

Are you using the original fans that come with the case, or have you replaced them? If you are using the original fans, since they don't have PWM, does your script work well on controlling the fan's speed?

styno

Patron
is there a way to install fans on the top on the HD side of the node 804 without preventing the use of the two HDD cages?
Not that I know of, but I managed to jam a fan in between the cages blowing towards the back of the case. It does fit perfectly and helps with cooling the HDDs.

Folks, just one question: is there a way to install fans on the top on the HD side of the node 804 without preventing the use of the two HDD cages? I tried to experiment with a different layout but didn't succeed.

Are you using the original fans that come with the case, or have you replaced them? If you are using the original fans, since they don't have PWM, does your script work well on controlling the fan's speed?
I replaced fans 3 & 4 with PWM fans. The original fans cannot be controlled with my fan control script.

sretalla