Control front LED on LaCie 5big NAS Pro

iJaffa

Cadet
I’ve got FreeNAS running beautifully on this Atom-powered device, but there is one thing which I can’t seem to control - the front LED just constantly flashes blue.

Since this is a NAS that will live in an open space in my home, I was hoping to somehow control the front LED - Seagate have it configured as follows in their otherwise terrible OS:

blinking blue = booting up
solid blue = functioning ok
blinking red = disk/raid error

I’m wondering whether anyone is familiar with this hardware and can help me control this LED? Honestly I’d be perfectly happy just having it solid blue and rely on email notifications for alerts, but full functionality would be even better.

Inferno

Cadet
I was curious about this too, since some functions are controlled by firmware (startup blink and total failure solid red), but the rest seem to be triggered by NAS OS.

By the way, how did you manage to install this? USB to the back? Or via the rescue function on LNA? I have a 5Big Office+ (which looks like the same hardware, just with USB 2 and preloaded WSSE 2008), and it seems super-resistant to booting from USB (though the BIOS allows it).

Inf.

iJaffa

Cadet
Yeah, the Office+ is one generation of hardware before the NAS Pro, but the important thing is that it has a similar BIOS and management interface for the LED.

Unfortunately, I have given up. I spent a little on it but didn’t get very far and other projects became more important.

sakings7402

Cadet
I’ve got FreeNAS running beautifully on this Atom-powered device, but there is one thing which I can’t seem to control - the front LED just constantly flashes blue.

Since this is a NAS that will live in an open space in my home, I was hoping to somehow control the front LED - Seagate have it configured as follows in their otherwise terrible OS:

blinking blue = booting up
solid blue = functioning ok
blinking red = disk/raid error

I’m wondering whether anyone is familiar with this hardware and can help me control this LED? Honestly I’d be perfectly happy just having it solid blue and rely on email notifications for alerts, but full functionality would be even better.
How did you install it on there?