Constant CDB errors since upgrading

Urumiko

Dabbler
Hi
I'm running a Gen 8 HP microserver.
I upgraded from a previous track to 11.3,
It initially seemed fine but I was finding withing 24H it would become completely unresponsive. (jails still seemed to run ok. (plex).
On some occasions i could get error output:
Untitled (Recovered).jpg

System wouldn't respond to reboot request. Reboot seemed to resolve the issue, but it would happen again the following day.

Thinking it might be the USB stick I Tried a fresh install on another stick.

Same problem.. I get CDB errors (Read and write) either in the middle if installation or shortly after.

I have tried 4 different memory stick of differing models and the problem persists.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Untitled (Recovered).jpg
    Untitled (Recovered).jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 197

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Those sure look like legit errors on the boot-media. Can you try installing to a non-USB device? Would be a good way to determine or rule out if its USB media issues quickly.

Urumiko

Dabbler
Those sure look like legit errors on the boot-media. Can you try installing to a non-USB device? Would be a good way to determine or rule out if its USB media issues quickly.
I have SATA at my disposal? and an SSD or spinny HDD I could use. I just thought you were not supposed to use hard drives?
I would prefer to use another medium as I am sick of replacing USB sticks that fail.
I do have an on-board Micro SD slot though this really is prone to data corruption long term.
Please bear in mind I have tried 4 different USB sticks, using both Front and rear USB ports and I didn't make any physical changes to change path.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, please use a sata drive. We stopped recommending USB devices years ago, exactly for reasons like this.

Urumiko

Dabbler
Yes, please use a sata drive. We stopped recommending USB devices years ago, exactly for reasons like this.
Oh... wow.. thanks..I'm just doing basic nas and plex duties. Will a spinning rust drive suffice or would you recommend SSD?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The operative word is SATA. USB is much less reliable, *especially* any usb stick. Recommendation is for a standard HDD or SSD, including for the FreeNAS boot medium. If it is simply for booting, it need not be huge but HDD and SSD are both designed, built, for continuous use. Any USB stick has limited number of uses (whether read-write cycles, or heat damage from continuous attachment and use) and vary widely in quality, not even always related to cost.

Urumiko

Dabbler
Thanks both... I noted while installing i noted the boot medium states Freenas is designed to be installed on flash memory Which i guess technically would be an SSD but does seem to hint at USB as per a lot of the documentation which often refers to USB. I think it would be worth highlighting this recommendation at install through that message.

4 USB sticks, 1 HDD and 1 SSD later I was still having no luck. I was managing to install ok then on 1st boot I was getting DBX errors.
Then i found this bug:
but I also found this blog Suggesting HPs mezzanine method of aggregating SATA is not liked by freenas...

It seems like it was detecting the boot drive but somehow not reading it properly.
I dont know if its a BIOS vs UFI issue.
Either way following the steps in this blog worked for me =)

Both with SSD and HDD...

Doesn't really explain the USB issues, but I did experience all the drama after upgrading to V 11 from 9.. so i think there may be similar issues there.. Oh well. I'm running on SATA now so I should be good for a while.

Happy days.

Last edited: