SOLVED Connection Speed Help!

Poncho42

Cadet
Hello all,

I am now a month or two into my first build. I started moving over my media files to my server and noticed something strange. I am transferring at half the speed I was expecting.

My main rig has an MSI x370 gaming pro carbon with a 1Gbps onboard NIC. That is connected to my TP-Link archer AC2300 with 1Gbps ports. And that is connected to my NAS which has a MSI 970 gaming Mobo with a 1Gbps.

The files are in my main rig on 2 raid 0 samsung 860 evo. and the files are being transfered to my 6 disk Z2 array built with WD red 4tb drives.

As far as I can tell, my transfer speed should be 1Gbs, but I'm not seeing that. Please let know what I can do to troubleshoot this or if you need more info. Thanks in advance for the help!

Fredda

Guru
Please check with iperf if you connection is really 1Gb capable.

run on you FreeNAS:
iperf3 -s

run on you computer:
iperf3 -c ip-of-freenas

Poncho42

Cadet
Hey thanks for the quick reply. here is my iperf info.

Attachments

• iperf.PNG
    iperf.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 231

Fredda

Guru
So the network speed is not the problem.

You should post a detailed info on you used drives. If you look through the forums there were several
threads regarding bad write performances with SMR drives. But that is not stuff I know much about.

PS: For future posts, please copy the text-output of commands in [CODE] [/CODE] tags instead of using images?

Poncho42

Cadet
Will do. sorry about the picture i'll make sure to include it as code from now on. I ordered 3 drives from each of the web pages below. Is it the small 64mb cache on the drives bottle necking me?

I don't think WD Red are SMR drives. According to the WD Red Spec Sheet, they aren't SMR.

Newegg Drives
Amazon Drives

Fredda

Guru
No, I don't think they are SMR. SMR drives usually have a quite big wirte cache.
Write cache should anyway not matter too much, if you copy a large amount of big files to your NAS.

As you set this thread to resolved, how did you solve the problem and reach 1GB/s speeds?

Poncho42

Cadet
I figured since we determined it is not the network speed I would try to move it somewhere else. I was also able to achieve 90Mbs coming off the server and 70mbs going to the server by switching to a Rosewill 1GBs NIC I had laying around. I'm ok with that for now.