Connecting Windows By iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kekerusey

Cadet
Hi,

I'm a windows tech with around 20 years experience ... I was there when MS was marketing Windows 286 & 386, the forerunners to the much maligned Windows 3.x so "ancient" doesn't even come close, LOL. I do have some Linux experience but it's mainly mush as I never really "clicked" with it and my current FreeNAS experience is a little under a day. Anyway, I'm new here ... hello me :)

I have a vSphere ESXi v5.5 box at home (core i5, 8GB ram, 3.5TB space) on which I am running a Windows Server 2008 server (HPC edition ... don't ask!) which was built on the same system, as a physical, about 2 years ago and I have P2V then V2V'd it so it is now running as a virtual under ESXi on the same system. I am also running FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35) on the same ESXI installation and it appears to run fine.

Following both the FreeNAS iSCSI documentation and, "Using FreeNAS 8 to Create an iSCSI Target for Windows 7", I have been trying to configure an iSCSI connection.

Looking down the FreeNAS menu system I have (apparently successfully) configured the following:

• Added an extent (as extent1)
  • Added an initiator (ALL/ALL)
  • Added a portal (0.0.0.0:3620)
  • Added a target (as target 1)
  • Added a target/extent (as target1/extent1)
On Target Global Authorisation which I freely admit I don't really "get" I have changed the following:

• Discovery Auth Method: Auto
  • Enable LUC: CHECKED

Authorised Access aside (haven't touched that) I think (not sure) I've done the above correctly but I cannot connect to it using Windows iSCSI initiator (on either my virtual Windows server or my physical Windows 8 client). The Windows connection side seems pretty straightforward by which I mean not much to configure, you just supply IP details and click "Quick Connect" but I get nothing implying I'm doing something wrong at the FreeNAS end.

I've tried adding port numbers to the Quick Connect dialog (default seems to be 3260 or 3261 and tried testing those using telnet with no joy.

Obviously I could get round this by just connecting disks directly through ESXi which is easy as pie but I couldn't do that to a physical machine (external to my ESXi host). Perhaps more importantly, I'm trying to learn this kind of stuff as my employer is one of those that separates the various disciplines into teams so I get virtually no experience of backups, storage, networks or *nix. This is extremely frustrating as I am, by nature, a jack-of-all-trades so I'd much rather have my finger in all pies rather than just one :)

So my question is, can anyone see what I am missing in trying to set this up?

Thx

Keke

Status
Not open for further replies.