Connect two FreeNAS units using OpenVPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve.long

Dabbler
Hello all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to connect two FreeNAS units over the WAN using OpenVPN. To avoid spending more money on a VPN router, could I install OpenVPN to jails on each FreeNAS unit and then treat one as the server and one as the client?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sure, you can do something like that, but you'll still need to get the networking stuff configured properly (port forwards to the jail and DDNS).

steve.long

Dabbler
Sure, you can do something like that, but you'll still need to get the networking stuff configured properly (port forwards to the jail and DDNS).
Wow, thanks for jumping in so quick! I have a static public address on one side. Will I still need DDNS if I put the server on that side?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not if it's static, of course. It'll just have to be server to take advantage of that.

steve.long

Dabbler
Excellent. That's what I was hoping.

My build is 9.10.2 and I have no jails set up. Do you have a recommended how-to for configuring this? Otherwise I'll keep Googling.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's probably something in the Resources section already.

chris crude

Patron
From what I remember, you can find guides for jails easy enough, open vpn and ddns too.
What there isn't is a guide to wrap it all together in one guide for noobs. I would love to be shown im wrong and i will be watching this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.