Comparison of backup plugins?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It seems there are quite a lot of plugins now available that set up your FreeNAS box as some sort of backup server--there are the long-standing BackuPC, Bacula, and BRU plugins, the newer Asigra and NAKIVO software, and maybe even some others I'm forgetting. Is there any sort of comprehensive comparison among them? Things that come to mind that I'd be interested in comparing:
  • Which client platforms are supported? Windows (which versions)? Mac? Linux? FreeBSD? Mobile devices? Others?
  • What, if anything, needs to be installed on a client device?
  • What's the backup workflow like?
  • Perhaps more importantly, what's the restore workflow like? For specific files/directories, as well as a complete system restore?
  • What limits, if any, apply to a free user (Asigra and NAKIVO, at least, are commercial products)?
  • If applicable, what are licensing costs like?
Relatedly, but probably as a separate issue, it would be really helpful to see good guides for getting each of these up and running. Official documentation can be used, of course, as it's relevant, but it won't generally address issues like where storage mountpoints need to be added to the jail, or how to reach the administration interface on a headless system. Having played just a little bit with the Asigra plugin, it seems exceptionally poorly documented, but I haven't checked out the others to compare.

Ay thoughts on this? I think the setup guides would make a good addition to Uncle Fester's Guide, even if they may be a little outside the scope of "beginners", but it seems like there's a lot to look at first.

danb35

Hall of Famer
maybe even some others I'm forgetting.
In addition, there's Resilio, Syncthing, and Tarsnap--which aren't backup systems in the same sense as the others I'd mentioned, but certainly could be used for backup purposes. But no input on this? I'm trying to figure out Asigra, but it isn't easy going.