Command Line Reference

efigalaxie

Cadet
Is there a handy command line reference for doing many of the tasks in FreeNas? I have also read that performing some tasks from the CLI causes issue with the GUI not being in sync with reality. Can anyone recommend a good reference that also walks through troubleshooting as well as problem resolution from a cli perspective? Is there an way to force the GUI to resync to reality other than a reboot?

I don’t mind reading. However, much of the official documentation shows steps but very little on what do do when a step fails. Of course there are the forums and the search engines, but something organized would make things easier.

artlessknave

Wizard
freenas is GUI appliance, it is intended that you do everything in the GUI, and as you already noted going around the GUI when you dont know what you are doing is not a good idea.
in general, the command line is standard freeBSD, there aren't really many freenas specific commands, as the freenas specific functionality is in...the GUI.
since the GUI is the intended usage, and because much of the documentation is done by the community, there would have to be someone who took a specific interest in command line documentation for there to be any.
you can find a bunch of info in my sig about a variety of freenas related topics.

The Shell has a handy help button.

screenshot.116.png

blueether

Patron
There is also the API to look at, and using that it should be as if it was done from the GUI