Comcast/Xfinity remote programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
This is wildly off topic therefore I am placing it in the most appropriate location.

I recently purchased an RCA LCD tv and needed to re-program the comcast remote to function for volume and power for it. I found the list of codes in two places and tried without success to enter them. Of those codes i tried, I saw that one caused the TV "ON" indicator light to blink. I though cool, I am close to the right code, so I kept trying. The trouble is, mostly, that the time-out for the code typing (5 digits) is rather short and it will frequently fail. I assumed the batteries in the remote were a bit low to cause this. I believe I only gained a tiny bit of attempts but it was quickly failing again, changing the channel to the last one or two digits pressed. Multiple attempts by multiple persons over multiple days since getting the TV and hooking it up, no success.

Until today. I happened to accidentally do a web search for the correct terms and stumbled upon an automatic method. Use code 991. This works for X1 and X2 remotes, it works more easily but need to go slowly to succeed.
Hold down setup until the X1 remote lights green then press 991 green light will blink then go off,.. while pointing the remote at the tv press the channel up button until the tv turns off. (Go slowly if you hit the channel up button again after the tv turns off that means you attempted another code.) After the tv turns off press the setup button again and the green light will blink and you'll be good to go.

Hopefully this will save others time as well.

EDIT: I saw mention also that 992 is a code that works similarly, *shrugs* I didn't try that one. Added the link to the forum post I stumbled upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.