CIFS, UFS, ESX 5.5 and a Noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgilbert37

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm new to FreeNAS, and like it enough to try to stick with it. I am looking for help with three things:

Config: Dell R610, dual quad core CPUs, w/48gb Ram, 3TB SAS all in RAID5 for 2.4Tb useable. This is just my home server and I am not a guru, just a project manager who likes to learn the stuff my IT teams work on. Base OS is ESX 5.5. FreeNAS is one of the VMs with a 4Gb OS partition and 2 data partitions: 900Gb and 400Gb- both UFS.

1) Did I screw up by choosing UFS over ZFS? I just didn't think I needed ZFS as I already have a RAID array and this is a VM.
2) Should/Can I expand the 900gb partition to 1.3tb?
3) Why can I not enable guest access to the second data partition? It seems because the "guest" account cannot map to two home directories...?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm not sure if you're doing this for experimental purposes or for production use.
If you're going to use it in production mode, I suggest you read this thread first before going any further.
I'm not telling you to not do it, I just want you to fully understand the inherent risks so that you can accurately assess your risk tolerance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
1) No. The benefits of ZFS in your environment are significantly reduced. You get error detection without possibility of correction (unless you're using copies= or something like that). I'd go UFS in that environment without a specific reason to use ZFS.

2) Expanding partitions is sort of magic and us old timers don't trust it.

3) Enabling guest access and mapping something as a home directory are two different things. You cannot assign a user two home directories. You do not need a "guest" user for providing guest access. You can share both partitions out and both can be accessed with guest permissions. I am not sure what exactly you've done, but I think you may have a user there that you don't need, named "guest", which is ironically NOT going to let you provide "guest" (also known as unauthenticated) access.

cgilbert37

Cadet
Thanks for helping me overcome a learning curve. FreeNAS is running quite well as a VM!

Status
Not open for further replies.