Chroot for SFTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user00001

Cadet
I require my users to be confined to their home directory (using chroot and the scponly shell) for SFTP. This works for me with regular FTP but not for SFTP which is how my users will connect. Is there any way to make this work in FreeNAS (8.2-RELEASE-p1)?

I don't want the users to be able to go "up" and out of their home directory into / and be able to access /etc, /var, or what have you, for obvious reasons.

Thanks

edit: I tried just adding '/usr/local/bin/scponlyc' to /etc/shells and changing a user's shell to that but FileZilla client didn't allow me to connect.

jallenjens

Dabbler
I have the same need. Please, is there anyone who can help tell us how to limit a SFTP connection to the user's home directory?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
There is no FreeNAS 8.2 RELEASE p1. What's your actual FreeNAS version, make sure it's not the "base OS version"? I'll see what I can do to help.

jallenjens

Dabbler
I'm using FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64 (11367). I've disabled root and anon access to FTP, and enabled Local User Login & Always Chroot.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
So expected result is chroot'd users accessing with SFTP, actual result is they are able to escape their home directories and traverse the entire filesystem? (Just to make sure we're on the same page.) Are you the person who was having a conversation with @FreeNASTeam on twitter earlier?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Okay, I'm gonna set up a VM and set it up and see if it works for me. It will be a while, since I'm at work right now.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
I went through the same process you described, including the scponly shell, and experienced the same lack of a chroot. Will report if I manage to get it working with proper chroot.

jallenjens

Dabbler
Thanks, Ben. That kind of makes feel better. I'm still hoping that there is a setting somewhere that I have set incorrectly. If not, what is the process for submitting bugs/feature requests to the FreeNAS team?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
You would create a ticket support.freenas.org. I see a ticket about this that considers it resolved, let me see what's up with that.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
It appears that SFTP is deceptive - what appears to be the FreeNAS root filesystem may not actually be so. See if you can make significant changes to the root filesystem that show up in sftp and vice-versa (remember that to change the root file system you have to 'umount /' and 'mount -uw /', I suggest something obvious like 'touch' or 'mkdir' that won't do any damage).

tl;dr: it might be working but appear not to be.

J

James

I don't believe scponly is compiled with chroot (it is off by default). I'll confirm if this is the case, and if so, request that it be compiled into the build. Once it supports chroot, instructions for using scponly chroot can be added to the docs.

J

James

scponly chroot is not compiled in by default. If you require scponly chroot support, please create a support ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.