Choosing IOCAGE Jail Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know if the planned migration will allow us to choose the root dataset for our new and migrated IOCAGE jails. The current Jails Configuration tab allows us to select where to store our jails, and I have a dataset for that I'd like to use.

Thanks in advance...

m0nkey_

MVP
It creates it's own dataset and mounts it as /mnt/iocage, instead of /mnt/<poolname>/<jail_dataset>. I don't think it can be changed.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Code:
iocage activate <poolname>

This will select which pool the actual structure is created on (and then mounted directly as /mnt/iocage).

Yeah, I was aware of that... I was hoping we'd be able to select an existing dataset like we do with WARDEN. If we only have one pool, we are stuck with it in the root of the pool and nowhere else. I could always create a ZVOL within that pool and activate it in there, but then I have to guess my future storage needs for all jails and reserve that space whether I use it or not.

Not optimal... I was hoping we'd have another way to not have it in the top level...

pschatz100

Guru
As was previously noted, when you activate iocage with a particular pool, it creates its own dataset: /mnt/iocage. Why is this an issue? What problem are you trying to solve?

As was previously noted, when you activate iocage with a particular pool, it creates its own dataset: /mnt/iocage. Why is this an issue? What problem are you trying to solve?

It's not really a "problem" I'm trying to solve, as much as holding on to existing functionality. I'm perplexed that the jails functionality used to allow you to pick which dataset in your pool you used for storage. The new system says "this is where jails go, live with it".

That seems like a step backwards to me.

m0nkey_

MVP
It's not really a "problem" I'm trying to solve, as much as holding on to existing functionality. I'm perplexed that the jails functionality used to allow you to pick which dataset in your pool you used for storage. The new system says "this is where jails go, live with it".

That seems like a step backwards to me.
You can open a bug report here: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas

Issue #32613 created with IX Systems.

Apparently, this feature is available in the nightlies. I can't confirm that myself, but I trust the awesome developers when they answer me. ;-)

m0nkey_

MVP
This is available in the Nightlies (which will be the next version) in Jails -> Custom Properties -> jail_zfs_dataset.
Awesome. That's good to know :)

pschatz100

Guru
Well, I like having a separate dataset for jails - so it's no big deal for me. I like keeping operating system and data separated.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Apparently, this feature is available in the nightlies. I can't confirm that myself, but I trust the awesome developers when they answer me. ;-)
There's quite a few things coming along nicely in the new GUI if you check out the nightlies to see them. Spin up a VM in Virtualbox on your desktop, or your favorite hypervisor, and check it out.

There's quite a few things coming along nicely in the new GUI if you check out the nightlies to see them. Spin up a VM in Virtualbox on your desktop, or your favorite hypervisor, and check it out.

Might do that this weekend.

I'm looking to set up Home Assistant in a jail, but it requires FreeBSD 11.1 so I need to create it using the new IOCAGE backend. Being that I can't select a location for the jails, it's had me in a holding pattern waiting to switch. At least this implies that with 11.1-U5 I can hit the ground running. I only have one jail to migrate at the moment.

So I'm using my spare time to build a pfSense router. Just ordered all the goodies. LOL

pschatz100

Guru
I'm looking to set up Home Assistant in a jail, but it requires FreeBSD 11.1 so I need to create it using the new IOCAGE backend. Being that I can't select a location for the jails, it's had me in a holding pattern waiting to switch. At least this implies that with 11.1-U5 I can hit the ground running. I only have one jail to migrate at the moment.
Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't understand your issue. You can select which pool the jails data set is created on so you CAN control where the jails go when you have more than one pool. Why do you need to put the jails in a particular dataset?

Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't understand your issue. You can select which pool the jails data set is created on so you CAN control where the jails go when you have more than one pool. Why do you need to put the jails in a particular dataset?

I don't *need* to put them in a specific dataset... I just *want* to put them in a specific dataset. Part of it is just my OCD with this sort of thing. No technical reason, just preference. I only have one pool, and no desire to create another. I have a place for the existing stuff, and I'd like to do a similar setup with the new backend.

I just know it's easier to set it up how you want it the first time, rather than try and change it later. As is usually the case, holding off looks to be fruitful. When I transition, I'll have the jails going where I want them. Many people who have jumped beyond me will likely be redoing things once the new GUI is finalized.

So to your question, it's just me trying to plan ahead for the transition, and looking to do it how I prefer. I wasn't sure if we were going to have the option to specify a location like we'd always had. It seems we will. I didn't see the answer anywhere, so I asked. Hopefully, this thread will be here for others who wondered the same thing.

HammerJ

Dabbler
You can select which pool the jails data set is created on

I don't see that option anywhere in the new UI during jail creation. It's not in the advanced tab, or anywhere else. It simply creates the dataset on the first pool in the list, always.

I don't see that option anywhere in the new UI during jail creation. It's not in the advanced tab, or anywhere else. It simply creates the dataset on the first pool in the list, always.

The previous response was this... "This is available in the Nightlies (which will be the next version) in Jails -> Custom Properties -> jail_zfs_dataset".

Do you see those options, or no? I haven't upgraded to check myself.

rogerh

Guru
When I changed to the 11.2 stable train (at the first beta) the iocage dataset (and a range of child datasets) was created for me as part of the update process. Did this happen to everyone, or, perhaps, those with existing warden jails?

HammerJ

Dabbler
The previous response was this... "This is available in the Nightlies (which will be the next version) in Jails -> Custom Properties -> jail_zfs_dataset".

Do you see those options, or no? I haven't upgraded to check myself.

No, it's not in the latest version. If it ever appeared in the nightlies, it's gone now.

However, it seems you can use "iocage activate <<poolname>>" at the command line to force iocage to install to a specific pool, so there's that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.