Choosing IOCAGE Jail Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would see this as a regression. It's not a "why do you need to do that", or "just make a pool and use that". We used to be able to specify a dataset, and now we can't. That's going backwards.

It also seems that the path to creating a jail on the latest BSD version keeps getting pushed back endlessly. I've been waiting for months to create a jail based on 11.2 without using beta software. Right now, that's November, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point. It keeps changing. I know it's hard work, and I'm not contributing, but I am surely not alone in being frustrated by the snails pace in getting this jail thing sorted out.

garm

Wizard
Learn to do it manually, it really isn’t hard and you get a better grasp of your server.

Its iocage that specify the behavior of iocage, if you want to change that you need to file a change request with them. https://github.com/iocage/iocage

danb35

Hall of Famer
Its iocage that specify the behavior of iocage
Yeah, but it's not iocage that isn't providing a GUI for changing where the iocage dataset is stored--that's FreeNAS.
Learn to do it manually
Learn to do what manually? You can't create a 11.2 jail without using beta software, and 11.1 is now EOL.

garm

Wizard
I was under the impression that you could download the latest FreeBSD release with iocage fetch and then do iocage create -r LATEST -n [JAIL] even in FreeNAS 11.1

But I haven’t tried that myself as FreeBSD 11.1 isn’t EOL and running smoothly.

I did however force Warden to update to 11.1 from 10.2 (or what ever EOL version they are in) before I decided to migrating all the jails manually to iocage. Messing around with Warden just isn’t worth the effort.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was under the impression that you could download the latest FreeBSD release with iocage fetch and then do iocage create -r LATEST -n [JAIL] even in FreeNAS 11.1
No, you can't set a jail to a later release than the system is running. Earlier, yes. Later, no.
FreeBSD 11.1 isn’t EOL
If it isn't, it's within a few days of being so.

No, you can't set a jail to a later release than the system is running. Earlier, yes. Later, no.

If it isn't, it's within a few days of being so.

Exactly, and the Home Assistant project requires 11.2 to run and I can't make a jail using that... So all the home automation I want to move into a jail since the server always runs, is on perpetual hold... For.... a..... long..... time..... now..........

danb35

Hall of Famer
...unless you run 11.2-BETA.

Yeah, trying not to run any BETA software. I have two current warden jails which need to be converted, so I don't want to open that can of worms until things are finalized. Just a couple months ago the advice was to log into the new GUI and make an IOCAGE jail for my needs, and just switch back and forth between GUI's to administer each one. Shortly after that advice U5 removed access to the BETA GUI. Glad I didn't do that.

It's issues like that that makes me stick to the official releases, which keeps me stuck where I am...

So I revert back to my original point... They need to let us choose a dataset. If that's an IOCAGE specific thing, it seems like something the developers could request they change.

garm

Wizard
U5 removed access to the BETA GUI. Glad I didn't do that.

It’s still there, just add “ui ” to the end of the url
They need to let us choose a dataset. If that's an IOCAGE specific thing, it seems like something the developers could request they change.
Why? What’s the argument for doing the change? What if Iocage is relying on a known dataset structure, why would they spend time changing that?

It’s still there, just add “ui ” to the end of the url

Why? What’s the argument for doing the change? What if Iocage is relying on a known dataset structure, why would they spend time changing that?

I'm not looking to argue why someone would want to be able to specify a location, besides the obvious wanting to structure their datasets their way. I stand by the fact that we used to be able to, so removing that ability is moving backwards.

And the GUI doesn't work well with the /UI added. It was my understanding that GUI development was only being done on the 11.2 train, which is the reason for removing the easy way to switch. They didn't want you to switch, because they weren't developing the GUI any further on the 11.1 train, and it was broken.

garm

Wizard
I haven’t actually read the code, but functions such as iocage snapshot <jail> and iocage activate <zpool> makes me think that the “root” dataset for iocage is assumed in the code. Sure you could proabobly add the functionality to have an arbitrary dataset location and it’s a free world, just file a change request at iocages github project. But if I was running the project, I would need a really good reason to bother.

I’m saying this as someone who build and manage a software suit for 500 odd engineers in 20 counties. Opinions like yours pop up all the time, they want their stuff in specific folders and they expect me to make it an option. Sorry to say that I wouldn’t add features introducing complexity in the project just to satisfy someone’s arbitrary feelings about where a folder should be.. it’s completely irrelevent. You shouldn’t be managing the jails outside of the iocage cli and thus it dosent matter where the dataset is. It’s actually better to be at the top of the tree as you messing things up in unrelated tasks becomes less probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.