Checking for TLER, ERC, etc. support on a drive

On the drive temps topic I have to say: I wish you gave us the drive temp of the drive temp sensor to compare results. Otherwise your perception with winter coat on , will be much different compared to T-shirt despite the actual drive temp, you know what I mean ?:smile:

I see that B&H show it's discontinued , but I believe is wrong. The description is showing the wrong drive speed( it's 5700 as you stated not 5200rpm), and the picture is wrong - for over a year these drives comes with 64MB cache, not 32MB as shown on the pic. If they disregard all that when slapping the info there I would assume the "discontinue"is wrong too, which will be good news.

P.S.I got mine from Fry's, not B&H cause the better price and don't like shipping HDD in general. But please don't tell everybody , perhaps your friends only, I don't want to see the empty shelf when I got there to buy some for myself, it's been happening to me many times over the years.:smile:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
On the drive temps topic I have to say: I wish you gave us the drive temp of the drive temp sensor to compare results.
Me too. But I wasn't expecting them to be noticeably different.

Me too. But I wasn't expecting them to be noticeably different.

Well I can tell you for coolspin if you wanna know , but don't have WD red to compare:

in 16x4TB Coolspins- supermicro chassis my average drive temp on idle is 33 Degrees. And I do have a front bezel in front of the chassis too , and still getting 33. You wouldn't want it to be colder that 30, even if other drive is actually running colder.

LIGISTX

Guru

LIGISTX

Guru
I just ordered mine!!! Got em for 99 each from amazon, with the supposed 3 year warranty. And they are listed as 64 megs of cache, which I think is correct. They are : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3UV65O/?tag=ozlp-20

This is who I got them from. Will figure out what to do when they show up I suppose.

HMMMM.... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/home-server-questions-lots-of-questions.45193/page-6

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ing-smart-data-selling-used-hdds-as-new.4507/

I just ordered mine!!! Got em for 99 each from amazon, with the supposed 3 year warranty. And they are listed as 64 megs of cache, which I think is correct. They are : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3UV65O/?tag=ozlp-20

I hate to bust your bubble, but it seems you already have a sense from serthehome.com posting that buying a HDD from shady sellers could not be a good idea after all.

First: the 4TB Coolspin that is sold on B&H, Microcenter , Frys is not your "megascale coolspin" despite the similarity. I don't know why MTBF is so low on this drive, but that's something else.

Second: You didn't buy this from "amazon", but from a third party vendor who is paying amazon for using their site. Meaning this is like buying from craigslist, but perhaps even worst , cause craigslist is one man operation, while other are bigger companies, Who for example(that example is actual truth) are buying hdd that felt of the truck when crash and reputable sellers wouldn't try to sell a salvage goods. But these guys are buying them , checking what appears to be ok , or combine this and that to make it look ok , and then pay amazon for listing since they have a good reputation and people may not notice what is going on.

LIGISTX

Guru
I hate to bust your bubble, but it seems you already have a sense from serthehome.com posting that buying a HDD from shady sellers could not be a good idea after all.

First: the 4TB Coolspin that is sold on B&H, Microcenter , Frys is not your "megascale coolspin" despite the similarity. I don't know why MTBF is so low on this drive, but that's something else.

Second: You didn't buy this from "amazon", but from a third party vendor who is paying amazon for using their site. Meaning this is like buying from craigslist, but perhaps even worst , cause craigslist is one man operation, while other are bigger companies, Who for example(that example is actual truth) are buying hdd that felt of the truck when crash and reputable sellers wouldn't try to sell a salvage goods. But these guys are buying them , checking what appears to be ok , or combine this and that to make it look ok , and then pay amazon for listing since they have a good reputation and people may not notice what is going on.

Yea. Yesterday they where actually "prime", today they are not. I am not exactly sure how I want to proceed. I figure I can wait for the drives to show up and decide....

If I end up going to, yeaaaa, not my jam kinds route, do you have a link to them at B&H? Or anywhere else. I guess I could see if any local frys has em as well.

It will come down to cost I suppose. I am kinda sad, had such a solid plan, and only today did I see the Reddit thread, looked yesterday to no avail :/

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

I really will feel bad that you got burned, but is good that you share the post (I haven't read it yet) so more people understand the scam and beware. That's the only weapon we got against these people.

Complaints will not help, the people that are letting them use their site , makes ton of money from them so they just look other way and the scam is keep going full steam. I learn mostly from my own experience , but whatever I read it will try not to repeat.

LIGISTX

Guru
I really will feel bad that you got burned, but is good that you share the post (I haven't read it yet) so more people understand the scam and beware. That's the only weapon we got against these people.

Complaints will not help, the people that are letting them use their site , makes ton of money from them so they just look other way and the scam is keep going full steam. I learn mostly from my own experience , but whatever I read it will try not to repeat.

Yea. I mean, I am not worried about getting stuck with them and not getting a refund, firstly, it seems as though the company is at least nice to deal with. Second, I used my AMAZON credit card to buy them FROM AMAZON. If it all goes to shit, I am sure Amazon will not be horrible about it and I will, if nothing else, get all my dolla bills back ;).

I'll keep the updates coming, but maybe I'll make a new thread so this one doesn't get cluttered up with Irrelevant info.

Yea. Yesterday they where actually "prime", today they are not. I am not exactly sure how I want to proceed. I figure I can wait for the drives to show up and decide....

Try to cancel or anything you can do to get out of it before you got too deep. Don't wait to get them to see what will work , and for how long.

You pay almost what a Brand NEW boxed retail drive cost, with REAL 3 year warranty you deserve better. If you found these in the dumpster (where they probably came from) for free , then whatever you can salvage is ok I guess.

Don't negotiate with them, you can't trust your data with these drives. They probably will pop faster than pop corn, so no raid level can save your data from disaster.

I am sure Amazon will not be horrible about it and I will, if nothing else, get all my dolla bills back ;).

I am really hope so friend, I really do.
Amazon Customer service is great , I have nothing but good to say about it. They will send the new item faster than you can get the old one to them back , but this is when you buy their item. With their third party vendors is a different story , I hope they don't wash their hands cause it's not really something they doing wrong you know. I don't remember what happened when I got burned with my "blu-ray player" it was a long time ago. But I remember I went to best buy both a NEW (same model) player I never regret it.

If I end up going to, yeaaaa, not my jam kinds route, do you have a link to them at B&H? Or anywhere else. I guess I could see if any local frys has em as well.

If you have Frys or Microcenter in your are go physically get a good retail box drives. I heard b&H is good vendor but I never both from them cause I prefer local trip to the store for the stuff I can get locally and am concern about proper shipping.

LIGISTX

Guru
Well the hard drives showed up, yesterday, somehow lol. That was super fast. And they look immaculate. Seriously, if they are used, these guys did a very serious job cleaning them. That alone is impressive. The only thing that has questioning the legitimacy right off the bat on visual inspection, does HGST usually seal them in anti static bags like this? Every hard drive I have ever purchased (consumer grade drives, WD and seagate) has the bags taped all origami status. These are sealed...

8894a66659833a91420d3e991ebbc1d4.jpg

d058a4a34190098134797455eda7f753.jpg

Also, if an admin sees all of this not related to TLER talk, I suppose you could move it. I just want those who have been following in this thread to give me some input.

does HGST usually seal them in anti static bags like this?

I can't even imagine to be any other way but a sealed anti-static bag. At least for HGST I can say for sure.

Every hard drive I have ever purchased (consumer grade drives, WD and seagate) has the bags taped all origami status.

I only wonder what vendor you bought them. Was is at a stop light (before turns green) somebody knock on you window offer a HDD for sale ?:smile:

Also, if an admin sees all of this not related to TLER talk, I suppose you could move it.

Admins here are pretty cool guys, I doubt it will be an issue when helpfully info is shared despite if it topic drifts a side. When admins are nice this also attract nice users who can be helpfully too.So share more.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
My HGST drives were in sealed bags.

LIGISTX

Guru
I only wonder what vendor you bought them. Was is at a stop light (before turns green) somebody knock on you window offer a HDD for sale ?:smile:

Yea, every hard drive I have ever purchased comes on the same anti static bag, but not sealed. They are usually folded over very nicely and tight, then single peace of usually yellow tape. Let me see if I can find a pic...

dde5f87d1f3e84f5351019523dff74f4.jpg

Something like that. OR, if it is sealed (now that I think about it I have seen that) they would have a little tab/indent to rip so you can open with your fingers.

My drives required scissors to open. Just a little strange. But they are super clean. Not a spec of dust. I will have to open the next ones super carefully to see if there are any finger prints. This one has some, but I think they are mine [emoji13]

I am afraid being sealed it's easy to be faked as well. Looking at the picture you provide it looks like a hot iron that was used for sealing, that's why it look so rough and curly and don't have the tearing notch you use to see. The notch it's even easier to make , but they just didn't make bother with it.

I think you are trying to convince yourself about something you already know.:smile:
But if you make you feel better...

LIGISTX

Guru
I am afraid being sealed it's easy to be faked as well. Looking at the picture you provide it looks like a hot iron that was used for sealing, that's why it look so rough and curly and don't have the tearing notch you use to see. The notch it's even easier to make , but they just didn't make bother with it.

I think you are trying to convince yourself about something you already know.:smile:
But if you make you feel better...

Yea I know. It just has me surprised at just how clean they physically are. But then again, the server I got is also VERY clean. No dust on it either. But I'll pop the drives in later today and see what's up.

I wish you good luck with that.

I think there is nothing wrong to sell and buy used hdd. I personally don't like used and always prefer new, but that's personal preference. What I find wrong and criminal is selling used as new. This is the same think like rolling the odometer back on 2 years old car so they can charge you the price of Brand New car. This is just me but, I wouldn't buy from scammers at any price or negotiate a deal. I don't want to fuel them from expanding their fraud enterprise and insult me this way , but it's just me as I said.

LIGISTX

Guru
I wish you good luck with that.

I think there is nothing wrong to sell and buy used hdd. I personally don't like used and always prefer new, but that's personal preference. What I find wrong and criminal is selling used as new. This is the same think like rolling the odometer back on 2 years old car so they can charge you the price of Brand New car. This is just me but, I wouldn't buy from scammers at any price or negotiate a deal. I don't want to fuel them from expanding their fraud enterprise and insult me this way , but it's just me as I said.

I fully agree with your reasoning.