Checking for TLER, ERC, etc. support on a drive

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
alternatively just random figures invented on separate days by an engineer with a poor memory
"Random figures" is just what HDD temperature limits feel like.

The cynic in me can't help but read it as "we recommend running it at temperatures above the max temperature limit."
That's what it sounds like.

pclausen

Patron
Here's what my various models show:

Code:
Make/Model Size SCT Error Control
Hitachi HDS72202 2.0 TB Read: Disabled  Write: Disabled
Seagate ST2000VN000 2.0 TB Read: 70  Write: 70
Seagate ST32000644NS 2.0 TB Read: 100  Write: 100
Seagate ST4000DM000 4.0 TB SCT Error Recovery Control command not supported
WD 200MFYYZ 2.0 TB Read: 70  Write: 70
WD WD60EFRX 6.0 TB Read: 70  Write: 70

tres_kun

Dabbler
[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -l scterc /dev/da1
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

SMART WRITE LOG does not return COUNT and LBA_LOW register
SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed

I get this error on all disks on the controler after atempting to set up TLER/ERC on them
Should i deduct that the DELL SAS 6/IR controller is rubbish and neads to be flashed?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Those are crappy LSI 1068 based boards and unless you've flashed them to IT mode they're useless. Might still be useless even in IT mode.

tres_kun

Dabbler
will flash it for the hell of it
should get a new adaptor but for the 4 500gb drives not worth it

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
SCT was disabled on my HGST UltraStar 7K4000 2T drives (HUS724020ALE640), and they didn't retain my new setting after a cold restart. So I added a post-init startup script to set it to 7 seconds.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 - Model: Hitachi HUA723020ALA640
Disabled by default. Was able to set it (to 8 seconds). However it did not stick after a cold restart.

Seagate Momentus 5400.7 (AF) - Model: ST9320312AS

Disabled by default. Was able to set it (to 8 seconds). However it did not stick after a cold restart.

1. Would it be recommended to do this to the OS drives as well (if you are not using USB sticks)?
  2. Would it be recommended to do as Spearfoot did and add it as a post-init startup script (or maybe another way)?
  3. Does this pertain to SSDs (either data or OS drives)?

M H

Explorer
All my WD Red Pro drives come enabled at 7s.

RoboKaren

Contributor
SCT was disabled on my HGST UltraStar 7K4000 2T drives (HUS724020ALE640), and they didn't retain my new setting after a cold restart. So I added a post-init startup script to set it to 7 seconds.

Can you give us n00bs a recommended or example script to do this?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Can you give us n00bs a recommended or example script to do this?

@RoboKaren, the shell script (named set-hdd-tler.sh, see below) is in my 'Systems Administration' dataset located at /mnt/tank/sysadmin. You'll need to tweak the script to reflect the number of drives in your system and how FreeNAS assigns device names to them:

smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da2
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da3
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da4
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da5
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da6
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da7
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/da8

I set it up to run at boot-up as a 'postinit' script using the 'Init/Shutdown Scripts' selection under 'Tasks' on the FreeNAS top-level menu (click on thumbnail for details). Be sure to specify the correct path to your script.
tler-settings.jpg

I wonder how come it was not enabled on Ultrastar considering they are the enterprise version of HGST?!

fta

Contributor
HGST Deskstar NAS HDN724030ALE640
Disabled by default.
Settable.
Don't know if it survives a reboot, running badblocks now.

HGST Deskstar NAS HDN724030ALE640
Disabled by default.
Settable.
Don't know if it survives a reboot, running badblocks now.

Probably it won't survive reboot. At least older Deskstars don't.

fta

Contributor
I was surprised a "NAS" labeled drive didn't already have it turned on.

I was surprised a "NAS" labeled drive didn't already have it turned on.

I am 100% with you on that one.
I guess they say "NAS" on the label but they didn't actually mean it. Shame on them.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I am 100% with you on that one.
I guess they say "NAS" on the label but they didn't actually mean it. Shame on them.

It says "NAS", not "RAID". I'm sure in their minds "NAS" means "little software NAS box" like a QNAP or Synology desktop box being used to share out your family pix, even if some of us make good crazy use of such stuff for more demanding tasks.

It says "NAS", not "RAID". I'm sure in their minds "NAS" means "little software NAS box" like a QNAP or Synology desktop box being used to share out your family pix, even if some of us make good crazy use of such stuff for more demanding tasks.

RAID or small NAS both cases suggests that more than 1 HDD will be used. When more that 1 HDD is used then redundancy should be assumed. Therefore SCT should be enabled.

Otherwise if "NAS drive" is used as single drive there is nothing "NAS" special about it , I could use any desktop drive in the same fashion and it won;t matter if it's NAS or not if there nothing different in it.
It's shouldn't be advertises as "NAS" drive if there is nothing special about it.

How do we know which drive has enabled SCT before buying one ? Damn advertising scammers:smile:

fta

Contributor
It's shouldn't be advertises as "NAS" drive if there is nothing special about it.

This drive has a vibration sensor, which is my guess why it gets the "NAS" designation. And it does support SCT, it's just not enabled by default. It has the same warranty and UER rate as the WD Red (non Pro). The Red doesn't have a vibration sensor. So in theory, this drive is as good or better a "NAS" drive than the WD Red, and I only paid $10 more than a red for it.

it does support SCT, it's just not enabled by default

Most desktop drives are like that. The problem is you enable it and is gone after reboot , so it won't stay.

only paid $10 more than a red

Red, green,black or purple is good to know what are you paying for. Is it for vibration sensor, for SCT , for Dual actuator, for more RPM , cache, or etc. Specs should be advertised , not "features a large 6TB storage capacity capable of holding a variety of business critical files"

PhilipS

Contributor