Change The Default mount point /mnt

ramib

Dabbler
Hi,

I know that this request was already discussed in the past and for many it doesn't sound as an important issue.
for me this issue is very important and since it's not possible (at least for what I know), it's causing me inconvenient.
I will explain why this issue is important and maybe someone will allow this option in the future.
All my computers at home are Macs and The FreeBSD ZFS pools are mounted on /Volumes/volX on the server.
As you know when mounting a Network share in Mac it goes into /Volumes with the same share name.
So, /Volumes/vol0 on the server becomes the same /Volume/vol0 on my Mac.
This allow me to keep all the settings (Plex,transmition,sabznbd,etc...) read the information under /Volumes/... and it doesn't matter from where I download its always the same location.
I hope this make sense :)
/mnt means nothing after all , if the default would be /Volume it will make more sense to me at least :)

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's not possible without significant code change.

Yeah, I had this out with Jordan and a few others at one point because /mnt is generally considered to be a temporary mount point under most UNIX hierarchies.

From BSD hier(7)

Code:
     /mnt/      empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
                temporary mount point

If this were strictly a platform decision, that'd be one thing, but it's externally visible in many forms and is kinda embarrassing to have to explain to other experienced UNIX sysadmins why such an amateurish thing was done. On the other hand, with nearly a decade behind it, changing it would be super-inconvenient to existing sites, though an option to change it would be cool.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yeah, I had this out with Jordan and a few others at one point because /mnt is generally considered to be a temporary mount point under most UNIX hierarchies.

From BSD hier(7)

Code:
                temporary mount point

If this were strictly a platform decision, that'd be one thing, but it's externally visible in many forms and is kinda embarrassing to have to explain to other experienced UNIX sysadmins why such an amateurish thing was done. On the other hand, with nearly a decade behind it, changing it would be super-inconvenient to existing sites, though an option to change it would be cool.
Feel free to make a feature request to make this configurable.

ramib

Dabbler

From BSD hier(7)

Code:
                temporary mount point

of course changing it globally is not a good option, but having the option to change it will be great (in new installations)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I like the idea of having it as a user configurable option.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Feel free to make a feature request to make this configurable.

I politely decline. After having made many requests over the years and having had many of them closed out rather arbitrarily, I prefer to spend my time productively.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
of course changing it globally is not a good option, but having the option to change it will be great (in new installations)

Yup. Though the issue there is that the default will still lead most people to accept it, so I grudgingly concede it to be a largely pointless request for iX to do a lot of work.

anmnz

Patron
Just to return to the OP's use case for a moment...

So, /Volumes/vol0 on the server becomes the same /Volume/vol0 on my Mac.
This allow me to keep all the settings (Plex,transmition,sabznbd,etc...) read the information under /Volumes/... and it doesn't matter from where I download its always the same location.
I hope this make sense

I'm afraid it doesn't quite make sense to me. What difference does it make to your applications where the ZFS pools are mounted on the FreeNAS server? If running on your Macs then as you point out the NFS client is choosing where to mount the data. If running on FreeNAS then you need to be running in a jail, and you get to choose where to mount the storage in the jail.

You're not trying to run these applications directly on FreeNAS outside of a jail, are you

Or do I misunderstand the problem?

melonion

Dabbler
For me the usecase is data migration, and a kind of encapsulation:
The zpool name is used as mountpoint name, and the mountpoint name is (to my knowledge invariably) part of the NFS Share name.
So when I move data to another pool, folder or share, I have to adjust all clients.
By changing the mountpount, this could be remedied somewhat.

Though I guess it would be even more convenient to be able to give an NFS share a name, like with SMB...