Change in email notifications for Replication errors

JaimieV

Guru
I have a domestic setup, a primary NAS which replicates to a secondary NAS2. The secondary is powered down most of the time - it comes up twice a week and gets the snapshots replicated across at those times, then shuts down after two hours. (I have a startup script that sleeps 7200 seconds then shuts down)

In 11.2 and before I would get one notification email that replication had failed shortly after each time NAS2 goes down. Perfectly reasonable.

In 11.3 I get an email every hour that NAS2 isn't powered up to say that replication has failed. This is pretty noisy.

I've taken a look in System/Alert Settings for "Replication Failed", and that's set to the defaults of Critical/Immediately (other options being Hourly/Daily/Never, none of which I like much). I presume the replication scheduler tries hourly now? Previously it seemed the replication attempt was basically continuous, but would only complain once.

In the release notes of 11.3:
  • Re-implemented Replication Engine, allows up to 10Gb replication speeds (a 10x improvement), resume support on failed transfers, as well as ability to replicate locally.
  • Periodic alert scripts have been replaced by the Alert framework. Periodic alert emails are disabled by default and previous email alert conditions have been added to the FreeNAS alert system. E-mail or other alert methods can be configured in Alert Services.
Either could be the hourly cause, I guess.

I'll set it to Daily to quieten it down, but I liked the old behaviour and would be interested in getting it back.

Last edited: