Can't update plex on FreeNAS 11.2

ThreeDee

Guru
I have a plexpass account .. so this works for me
..and yeah, search is your friend, lol..

Code:
fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/luluhoc/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_UpdaterPLEXPASS.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u <username> -p <password> -a -v

thejamesk

Explorer
the PMS_updater has been updated to work with iocage in 11.2 ..i'm on latest version of Plex
Version 1.14.1.5488

now using it.
PMS_updater will get you latest version quicker than pkg update && pkg upgrade -y will

This method is not working for me for some reason,

1546090293609.png
1546090305178.png

EzerchE

Cadet
here is guide how to upgrade plex;

Go to https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ turn on ‘Plex Pass Downloads’ and select ‘FreeBSD’ from the drop down, copy the url of the ‘DOWNLOAD 64-BIT’ button

Enable SSH and connect via Putty from your computer;
jls
jexec 1 csh (replace 1 with whatever jail number you have!)
fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
fetch -o PlexBuild.tar.bz2 {Paste URL Copied Earlier}
./PMS_Updater.sh -l PlexBuild.tar.bz2 -vv -a

thejamesk

Explorer
Thanks all, Decided in the end to take the plunge and do a clean install as so many things seemed off. Also I was not running the plexpass version of the server.

jasonbuechler

Dabbler
If anyone in the future hits this thread looking for tips on how to manually update Plex, or having trouble using methods mentioned elsewhere, I made several short, un-narrated videos on doing so manually.

These videos/instructions literally are manual (i.e. don't require using anyone else's script) using the update's actual .tar.bz2 file and replacing the old resources with new ones. (Inspired by these old instructions for the previous jail system.)

For a semblance of organization, I collected them in a semi-related youtube playlist here ... but specifically:
Mini-update: Apparently, there's a lot of people seeing a "Server Settings are Unavailable" thing, after a recent update. It may have started in 1.15.0.659 according to this forum post: https://forums.plex.tv/t/i-updated-...-and-now-i-can't-access-server-setting/377180 I noticed my to-be-updated plexmediaserver folder had a bunch of lib resources in that aren't in the same location within the .tar.bz2 update pack, but instead are collected into a 'lib' folder. When I replaced my old PMS folder with the new one, these lib files all needed to be moved/copied "one folder up" from 'plexmediaserver/lib/' to 'plexmediaserver/' before I could get back into my settings. (The "plexmediaserver" folder mentioned is the application/resources directory used by Plex, not your user-data directory. I would elaborate on where to find it per-system, but I can't find good docs on Plex's site.)

So whether you updated using "that update script" or using a manual method like those demo'd in the first 3 videos above... the fix is probably the same. And if you use another BSD/linux variant instead of FreeNAS, it's probably still basically the same: move the files from 'lib' up one level, then (re)start the server. (You could actually move them first on your computer after extracting the .tar.bz2 resources, before copying them over, if you were using my WinSCP method. Or you could SSH in to your FreeNAS box and 'cd' to the jail for your PMS. Or you could shell into your jail, as demo'd in my "fix" video.) Steps for the jail-shell approach...
1 - replace the plexmediaserver (or plexmediaserver-plexpass) folder using the methods shown in my other videos
2 - in your FreeNAS web-console, go to the Jails section
3 - click the "dots" for your Plex jail, and choose "Shell"
4 - enter "cd /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/lib" and hit enter
5 - enter "mv * .." and hit enter
6 - return to your jails list, and use the dots to restart your Plex jail

Last edited:

Philip Robar

Contributor
PMS_updater has been updated to work with iocage in 11.2

How do you figure? This script hasn't been updated in two and a half years. There's a pull request with updates for iocage, but I don't see any indication that that has happened.

ThreeDee

Guru
How do you figure? This script hasn't been updated in two and a half years. There's a pull request with updates for iocage, but I don't see any indication that that has happened.
I read that ...somewhere .. and I figure because that's how I updated my plex plugin ;)

Philip Robar

Contributor
I'm not sure what EzerchE and ThreeDee are doing, but the current version of PMS_Updater.sh does not work in a FreeNAS 11.2 iocage Plex jail created by the December or January version of the Plex plugin installation process as the script has hardcoded warden based Plex jail paths in it that don't exist in the new Plex jail and the script depends on wget(1) which isn't installed in an iocage jail by default.

To get it to work you'll have to hand patch the script and install wget(1) following the diffs given here: PMS_Updater updates for iocage jails

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Or just pkg upgrade to keep it up to date........

ThreeDee

Guru
I did have to install/edit some stuff.. nano , wget .. perl5, ca_root_nss , make a repo directory . then fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/luluhoc/PMS_updater/master/PMS_UpdaterPLEXPASS.sh

I don't have the link on hand though as it was mix of google-fu to find the directions .. and I don't remember if it was here or elsewhere that I got the instructions from. I am not much help I guess, lol .. sorry.

Last edited:

Philip Robar

Contributor
You're not supposed to use pkg(1) tools inside an iocage jail. iXsystems specifically documents this. You're suppose to do this:

iocage update plex

Unfortunately, despite iXsystems giving this as a work around to their broken GUI, this is also broken in 11.2u1.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes this, I don't understand why everyone keeps insisting on using that script.

Ixian

Patron
Because it was once quite useful, and still is for some. It's a fairly recent change where plugin jails, or at least the Plex one, update on a regular basis.

And it still doesn't quite keep pace. x.x.5487 and 5488 lagged the official release. Modding the old script works. Not that I recommend it any longer either.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Because it was once quite useful, and still is for some. It's a fairly recent change where plugin jails, or at least the Plex one, update on a regular basis.

And it still doesn't quite keep pace. x.x.5487 and 5488 lagged the official release. Modding the old script works. Not that I recommend it any longer either.
pkg lag by a couple days, 3 at the most. I have been upgrading like this for years. I'm ok waiting a couple days.

Philip Robar

Contributor
Yes this, I don't understand why everyone keeps insisting on using that script.
Because neither of the supported methods work? BTW, what does old have to do with it? It's not like scripts wear out.

Ixian

Patron
pkg lag by a couple days, 3 at the most. I have been upgrading like this for years. I'm ok waiting a couple days.

The plugin itself lags further - it was weeks behind for .5487 for example. Not that I see that as a particular issue either, and I ditched the plugin and just set up my own Plex jail, but Plex users in particular are antsy about current updates for whatever reason. There's always some fix or new feature to be had and it's a widely used application that is very high-touch (i.e. people who use it interact with it all the time) so that has something to do with it.

That, and because not so long ago this script was the only reliable way to update in between "official" pkg updates that took months. That seems to have changed but folks have long memories and/or just got used to doing it that way.

Philip Robar

Contributor
That, and because not so long ago this script was the only reliable way to update in between "official" pkg updates that took months. That seems to have changed but folks have long memories and/or just got used to doing it that way.
Also the pre-iocages official upgrade process took a very, very, very, very long time to run. The script takes less than a minute or two. It remains to be seen if this has been fixed or not.

albertredneck

Dabbler
I want to stick to the official jail as much as possible and following this advice:
You're not supposed to use pkg(1) tools inside an iocage jail. iXsystems specifically documents this. You're suppose to do this:

iocage update
I executed that command but everytime I do I get "Snapshot already exists!", which is exactly what I got from the GUI.

So, I'm supposed to manually remove snapshots and try again? Is the "official" update method also broken? (not just the GUI).

jottos

Cadet
I had exactly the same issue as those above using 11.2
1. tried update in the plugin using the 3 dots on right - little popup on bottom says updated but nothing was done
2. tried going to jails - same exact thing

so i took advice from above to "pkg upgrade"
1. i started jail which does start service, so there's that, i probably should have shut down service first
but that stops jail in the UI so I didn't bother to figure out how to shut it down in the jail
2. I did "pkg upgrade" it failed at some point so I just did pkg upgrade again and it finished
3. I checked and the server was not running, the upgrade had shut it down
3. I restarted the jail and about 3min later the system was running

This updated plex from 1.16 -> 1.18 which is a significant update, so far so good

jottos

Cadet
I want to stick to the official jail as much as possible and following this advice:

I executed that command but everytime I do I get "Snapshot already exists!", which is exactly what I got from the GUI.

So, I'm supposed to manually remove snapshots and try again? Is the "official" update method also broken? (not just the GUI).
So I'm all with not having to do the upgrade manually, but the UX controls are definitely not working