can't see server on one machine (windows 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel perez

Dabbler
i have currently 4 windows pc connectiong to the server and sharing files but for some reason one of them cannot connect and at this point idk what to do any more

nojohnny101

Wizard
Does this PC that can't connect have any firewall settings or virus protection that differs from the ones that can connect. I would start there.

nojohnny101

Wizard
More details would help.

Please post specs of your system.

Also how are the machines connecting? Are you using AD? I am assuming it is a CIFS share? Does each PC have its own login details?

miguel perez

Dabbler
im running a dual cpu (AMD opteron 6300) with 32 gb of ram and running FreeNas 9.10.1. yes each pc does have its own login credentials the machines are connected through Ethernet cables to my router and sorry but idk what you mean by if im using AD

mattbbpl

Patron
im running a dual cpu (AMD opteron 6300) with 32 gb of ram and running FreeNas 9.10.1. yes each pc does have its own login credentials the machines are connected through Ethernet cables to my router and sorry but idk what you mean by if im using AD
AD = Active Directory (or possibly some other LDAP provider). It's a way of centralizing your account credentials so that you can log into each machine (and access resources across your network) using the same credentials.

If you don't know what it is (and this is a home network you administer), it's highly unlikely you're using it.

miguel perez

Dabbler
actually sorry im not using any type of directory services since all of my pc are connected to the server via Ethernet cable that all go to the same router. so the only thing that i have active on the server is the CIFS shares

mattbbpl

Patron
This is going to sound silly, but are you attempting to connect to it by typing in the hostname, or by navigating to "Network" and then double clicking the icon that represents the server? I believe Windows 10 broke network discovery for a lot of people, but I never use the thing so I can't speak much to it beyond that.

miguel perez

Dabbler
im doing the navigation thing and yeah is probably windows 10 because 3 of the 4 pcs connected show the icon for the server so maybe i should try the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.