Can't detach degraded disk from mirrored boot pool

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
I'm running 11.2-U1 and have been notified that the boot USB disk is degraded. So I plugged in a new USB stick to the back of the server. Freenas assigned this as da18, and I added it as a mirrored drive to the boot pool. Now the boot pool shows one ONLINE and one DEGRADED. When I go to detach the DEGRADED disk, it fails with "no valid replicas".

Is there something I should do next?

pro lamer

Guru
Before you proceed, post zpool status command results and hardware details...

Sent from my phone

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
1558785289703.png

1558785188414.png

garm

Wizard
Ya, so you attached a new USB stick to a degraded pool. First I thought your explanation was flawed.

Sins your pool is degraded you cannot just recover lost data by adding another disk. You need to reinstall FreeNAS to a fresh device (mirrored sticks if you stick to USB..).

Now this is simple and one of many benefits of FreeNAS. By downloading and uploading the configuration you can reinstall FreeNAS in a matter of minutes.

But sins your pool is degraded I wouldn’t trust the config if you download it now, do you have a config saved from before the degradation?

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
Ya, so you attached a new USB stick to a degraded pool. First I thought your explanation was flawed.

Sins your pool is degraded you cannot just recover lost data by adding another disk. You need to reinstall FreeNAS to a fresh device (mirrored sticks if you stick to USB..).

Now this is simple and one of many benefits of FreeNAS. By downloading and uploading the configuration you can reinstall FreeNAS in a matter of minutes.

But sins your pool is degraded I wouldn’t trust the config if you download it now, do you have a config saved from before the degradation?

Yes, I have lots of backups of the config, even before the degradation. Thanks for that explanation :)

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
Can I install the latest FreeNAS version and restore with my config from 11.2-U2 or should I install 11.2-U2? If so, where can I download 11.2-U2 now?

ethereal

Guru

garm

Wizard
I would install the same version as the config and upgrade after