Can't boot server after install of 11.3u2

goatnas

Cadet
I could not install 11.2U5 on my computer and thought that I could get by on running 11.1-U7 until 11.3 came out.
The only thing I could do with the server over the last year was upload / download files and take snap shops of those files. Even after upgrading the processor, I still couldn't do anything but those two things. (None of the jails work. It won't do VM.)

Tried a fresh install of 11.3-U2 and it would hang and not boot the kernel. I switched the mediums to another computer and got it to install there, but it doesn't work when I place them back into the computer running 11.1. For the three weeks I've been researching and doing edits to configuration files then, replacing the root media into the 11.1 computer. So far, I've bricked the root media almost every time I tried a new edit.

I'm installing from DVD , with UEFI install option.

Changes made:
Switched the computer installing 11.3 to VGA (before replacing in 11.1 (VGA) computer):

Both computers don't have vidconsole. Both will do "efi" and "comconsole", but comconsole with the install computer usually bricks the root media.

console=comconsole,efi
console=comconsole
Both settings brick the root media, have to reinstall
console=efi
Freezes boot of root media, on install computer; have to reinstall.

I have stopped messing with the console setting, for now.

Added the following options to /boot/loader.conf OR /boot/defaults/loader.conf
The install machine still booted with these changes, but server still didn't boot.

Code:
loader_conf_files="/boot/device.hints /boot/loader.conf /boot/loader.conf.local /boot/boot1.efifat /boot/boot1.efi /boot/loader.efi"
nextboot_enable="YES"

loader_delay="3"
autoboot_delay="20"
bootenv_autolist="YES"
beastie_disable="YES"
kernels="kernel kernel.old"    # Kernels to display in the boot menu
module_path="/boot/modules;/boot/dtb;/boot/dtb/overlays"        # Set the module search path
module_blacklist="drm drm2 radeonkms i915kms amdgpu"    # Loader module blacklist

boot_multicons="-D"
boot_serial="YES"
boot_multicons="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"

module_error="cmd"              # executes "cmd" if load fails

Other Additions:
Code:
# sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf ataahci_load="YES"
# sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf ataintel_load="YES"

After I added the two above commands, it still didn't boot the server. Switched it back to the install machine and it booted but with syntax errors for each of the files in " loader_conf_files " line. I noticed that the nextboot.conf file I made disappeared. I didn't notice any errors for the " loader_conf_files " line, but rebooting it again (and forgot to copy file for nextboot.conf) gave me the syntax messages again and reports an error with the kernel. It gives me a prompt with 3 options. If I use the < enter > option, it takes me to the cmd. And, since I have no clue on how to fix the kernel, I poweroff the machine. I have not re-installed 11.3u2 on the root media, yet.

I've reinstalled at least 12 times and each time the install takes HOURS.
I haven't been able to do anything with 11.1u7, so I know I don't have a clue about configuring a FreeNAS. I reinstalled 11.1u7 on the root clone, just so I can download / back up the contents. (At least I saved the config file before upgrading.)

I am not sure if I should try again or quit trying to make FreeNas work and scrap it all together. I don't know if I should shrink the FreeNas partition and attempt dual booting until FreeNas supports Legacy again. I don't even know if I should test my server with one of the 11.2-betas or 11.2-Release.

If I attempt this one more time I might do:
Code:
# sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf ata_load="YES"
# sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf ataintel_load="YES"

Also I was not sure if I wanted to add any commands into the kernel because it won't open for me to read/edit. I am also confused about if I should try to turn on " acpi_dsdt_load ".

All the attempts were using AHCI (instead of IDE), I also don't know if the IDE option was specifically for legacy because I've never been able to successfully boot from legacy option while using AHCI.

Some info from: smartctl -a /dev/ada0
Firmware Version: HP40
User Capacity: 750,156,374,016 bytes [750 GB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is: SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Local Time is: Thu Oct 31 18:19:16 2019 EDT

8Gb ram , sandy bridge i5