Cant Access Mount Point In Plex

bswann93

Cadet
I created a mount point for my plex to access my media files and it shows up in the menu but i cannot select it as a destination to load files for my plex library. if i go into my plex jail mount point menu and make a new file path and try to access it through plex the same thing happens and the other previous mount point destination folder is now available to be selected by plex. i have attached some pictures of plex and my freenas plex mount point source and destination file paths.
plex freenas.PNG
plex.PNG

hervon

Patron
What did you find while searching the forums about this issue ?

bswann93

Cadet
What did you find while searching the forums about this issue ?
I havent found anything that has helped so far and ive been looking here, on the freenas sub reddit and the freenas plex forum. im honestly at a loss i just rebuilt my server because i made a massive storage upgrade so i moved all my data off the NAS and did a fresh install of FreeNas to the lastest version (which is what i was running before had as well) and now no matter what kind of permissions i change i cannot seem to fix the issue.

Fredda

Guru
Last edited:

bswann93

Cadet
You haven't searched very thoroughly. This question has been asked over and over in the last two or three months.
Look here or here. Don't look too far in the past, because the reason for the problem is a recent change in the
default behavior for "Windows Datasets". See FreeNAS 11.2-u6 release announcement, section known impacts.
I've spent about 8 hours combing through forum posts about this issue and ive found about 4 people with the exact issue as me (i dont have the links for the threads and im not going to go look for them again) and none of them seem to have found a fix for the issue so i dont know what you consider thorough to be honest. also the second thread you linked isnt even the same as my issue i dont have any problems accessing my plex jail its plex access permissions. i gave up on it for now i just went with a headless windows server option write speeds for parity raid are definitely worse but at least it works. maybe ill come back to feenas once the issue is resolved.

Fredda

Guru
Both threads show the solution to your problem. The second one starts with a different issue but in the end it comes down to the same issue as your problem and shows the commands to fix it.
The point is the UID running plex has no permissions to access the folder of the share you mounted into your plex jail. (All explained in the linked FreeNAS release announcement)
You need to add the correct permissions with the setfacl command for that user or - if it's a single user system - remove the ACLs completely and add the permissions with chmod.

Last edited:

bswann93

Cadet
Both threads show the solution to your problem. The second one starts with a different issue but in the end it comes down to the same issue as you problem and shows the commands to fix it.
The point is the UID running plex has no permissions to access the folder of the share you mounted into your plex jail. (All explained in the linked FreeNAS release announcement)
You need to add the correct permissions with the setfacl command for that user or - if it's a single user system - remove the ACLs completely and add the permissions with chmod.
okay forgive me i was wrong, thank you for your help despite my poor attitude. i ran the the command from the first article and it worked like a dream.

Keedub

Cadet
I believe that Im also having some sort of permissions issue related to the one stated above. If Im just trying to make a "1 user" FreeNAS system where I use root for everything, will I have to re-do the permissions for the folders as well? Ive created everything on my share drive with root and applied permissions recursively throughout the whole thing; but when I try to add folders and files to my plex server, its not pulling anything. If I navigate through shell to the mount point inside the jail, I can see the files/folders, so I know its at least mapped correctly. Also when I look at the Custom Properties for the Plex jail it says that the owner is root, so Im not sure what Im missing....

I have plenty of screenshots of everything if someone can tell me where to look.

Fredda

Guru
Setting all the ownership in the jail to root was not a good idea. The plex server in the jail is running as a dedicated user.
This user needs to have read access to the media files and write access for its database and log files.

JustinL

Cadet
I believe that Im also having some sort of permissions issue related to the one stated above. If Im just trying to make a "1 user" FreeNAS system where I use root for everything, will I have to re-do the permissions for the folders as well? I've created everything on my share drive with root and applied permissions recursively throughout the whole thing; but when I try to add folders and files to my plex server, its not pulling anything. If I navigate through shell to the mount point inside the jail, I can see the files/folders, so I know its at least mapped correctly. Also when I look at the Custom Properties for the Plex jail it says that the owner is root, so Im not sure what Im missing....

I have plenty of screenshots of everything if someone can tell me where to look.

Check out "Issue 2" in this post, sounds like what might be going on here