Can't access imported pool, edit permissions in pool and edit ACL in smb share greyed out

jaloon

Cadet
Hi, I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't find it in my forum search.

I had set up a simple freenas box with version 11.2 and it kept randomly dropping offline and I wiped and reloaded the boot thumb drive with freenas 11.3.
I used the "import an existing pool" option under storage and it found my pool with no problem. When trying to set up an SMB share, I can see the share but can't access it. I can see all the folders when trying to add the share but they all say the folder name with (ACL) after it. How do I get in and edit permissions so that I can pull the data off the drives?

KrisBee

Wizard
@jaloon You seem to have posted twice about the same problem. Please post the output of these FreeNAS shell commands: zpool status and zfs list In addition, what is the SMB share path?

jaloon

Cadet
Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry about the double-post, it didn't appear that the first one posted. My bad. I appreciate any help in this, haven't gotten as far as learning much of the shell commands yet

config:
Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@freenas[~]# zpool status
pool: NASRAID
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
NASRAID ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/f8dd0845-06c5-11ea-b16f-7845c41004b9 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/f97bd96b-06c5-11ea-b16f-7845c41004b9 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested

KrisBee

Wizard
@jaloon It didn't help that my first post had a typo. It should have read:

@jaloon You seem to have posted twice about the same problem. Please post the output of these two FreeNAS shell commands: zpool status and zfs list In addition, what is the SMB share path?[/cmd][/cmd]

So you missed the "zfs list" command. Anyway, your share path "/mnt/NASRAID" shows you've chosen to share the entire pool rather than create one or more datasets in your pool which you would then share individually. In FreeNAS 11.3 you are prevented from editing the permissions & ACL of the root-level dataset, which in your case is mounted at "/mnt/NASRAID". The quick fix is to use this command in the FreeNAS shell: setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc::allow /mnt/NASRAID

jaloon

Cadet
Hi, tried the command you mentioned but it didn't seem to do anything. I admit, I don't know enough about setting it up properly yet and with my CCNA studies and work taking up all of my time I don't have the time to dig deeper into learning Freenas at the moment. This was my trial setup to fiddle with it to prep for creating a bigger, more permanent box later (ironically, similar stats to the one in your signature, but with an old i7 4790K box that's been collecting dust.

I was able to re-access the data by re-installing 11.2u6, importing the pool and changing the user to "nobody" recursively and am transferring the files I need back to one of my external drives. I'll be building a more permanent box with about 30TB of space in the near future but it looks like I have a lot of learning to do before committing my data to a freenas box I don't know how to work fully just yet.

Thank you for your time and effort, KrisBee. I'll start from square 1 and the instructions and videos to learn how to build my next box. I really don't like the inability to change the root permissions on the pool in 11.3 though. That has me wondering if I should stick with the 11.2 build until I learn more.

KrisBee

Wizard
@jaloon I didn't want to bombard you with commands, this thread might have helped with your original problem in FN1.3 https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-in-windows-no-permissions.81991/#post-567573

Anyway, you've accessed your data now. But for future reference, if you plan to have a large pool in the future I would really expect you to be creating multiple datasets on the pool and sharing those as necessary rather than the root-level dataset. You could easliy need to create additional user accounts on FreeNAS in order to have control over who can access what rather than rely on the anonymous system user "nobody".
There are lots of resources on the forum - one often qutoed reference about SMB shares and permissions are these vids: https://youtu.be/RxggaE935PM

jaloon

Cadet
Much appreciated. I've got those links bookmarked and will refer to them when doing my next build. Obviously not wise to do it the way I did it. Started off just slapping together a nas to see if the slow performance of an existing one was the box or the network and I got happy with the freenas one since it performed so much better and accidentally started using for real-world stuff before it and I were ready. More of my clients are using freenas-based storage so once the CCNA is done I'll be digging deeper under the hood.

Thanks again!