Cannot write to content dirs('/var/db/zoneminder/events','/var/db/zoneminder/images')

boggie1688

Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I recently installed the zoneminder plugin. Easy enough. I connected my IP cam, and confirmed it is pulling a live video stream correctly.

Next I created a dataset in my pool, and assigned it to username 'media' and group 'media'.
/mnt/Toshiba5TB/Security

Next I created two mounting points for zoneminder for the iocage:
/var/db/zoneminder/events
/var/db/zoneminder/images

I assume this is were zoneminder wants to save its recorded files. FWIW this camera will record 24/7.

Lastly, in the zoneminder jail I did the following:

• In the jail, add a user with a matching UID as the owner of the data dataset/folders.
    • Code:
      pw useradd -n media -u 818 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
  • In the jail, change the user the plugin runs as, and change ownership of the data-directory.
    • Code:
      service zoneminder onestop
      chown -R media:media /var/db/zoneminder
      sysrc 'zoneminder_user=media'
      service zoneminder start

Unfortunately, inside the zoneminder logs I keep getting this error:
Cannot write to content dirs('/var/db/zoneminder/events','/var/db/zoneminder/images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user

Previously in my other jails, I've change the jail user to media (like above) and had no issues with the plugin writing to the mounting point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

boggie1688

Explorer
Started with a fresh install, and immediately changed the storage to:
/usr/local/zoneminder

Add a mount point for /mnt/Toshiba5TB/Security to /usr/local/zoneminder

Then
  • In the jail, add a user with a matching UID as the owner of the data dataset/folders.
    • Code:
      pw useradd -n media -u 818 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
  • In the jail, change the user the plugin runs as, and change ownership of the data-directory.
    • Code:
      service zoneminder onestop
      chown -R media:media /usr/local/zoneminder
      sysrc 'zoneminder_user=media'
      service zoneminder start

In the log I get:
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRCan't mkdir /usr/local/zoneminder/1: Permission deniedzm_event.cpp128
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRCan't mkdir /usr/local/zoneminder/1/2019-12-01: Permission deniedzm_event.cpp169
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRCan't mkdir /usr/local/zoneminder/1/2019-12-01/9: Permission deniedzm_event.cpp174
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRFailed creating mp4 file: /usr/local/zoneminder/1/2019-12-01/9/9-video.mp4zm_video.cpp179
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRFailed opening video streamzm_event.cpp215
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798INFGarage: 001 - Opening new event 9, section startzm_monitor.cpp1482
2019-12-02 05:25:01zma_m1101798ERRCan't open /usr/local/zoneminder/1/2019-12-01/9/snapshot.jpg: Permission denied

For the life of me I can't figure out why the jail cannot write to the dataset. My sabnzbd jail follow this exactly, and it can write perfectly fine.

boggie1688

Explorer
I should note, under the storage section of zoneminder, it is clearly seeing my mount point. I can see the remaining storage left on the Pool.

For whatever reason I just cannot write to the dataset, even though this is exactly the user I am using in my other jails. What gives?!

sretalla