SOLVED cannot rsync to nfs via linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmobiwx

Dabbler
Hi community,

i have one (1) windows machine in our company, belonging to marketing for some adobe mumbo jumbo, the rest is all ubuntu. i now set up a freenas on a server with sas disks for backup for the windows machine, because marketing started with 4K movies and now has already 3 times the amount of all other users together for regulary backup.

we use freeIPA ldap server, already bound the freenas to the server, can see and choose the users.
i wanted to do a simple connect to the windows machine, initiated by the freenas, so the windows machine cannot fuck up the data on the nas. just to make sure nobody writes "why dont you let the windows machine connect to the nas, thats the way it is intended". that is on purpose.

working on this simple task since yesterday and pulling my hair.
could not get the freenas to connect via smb to the windows share that should be backed up. tried to put the smb share noauto in fstab, did not work. is there some magic switch?
then i made a nfs share on the freenas, used the backup server to mount both the freenas nfs share and the smb share of the windows machine ( mounting there with no problem ) and rsync, but the rsync does not work.... it makes all the directories, ends up having all the file names with a temp extension ( like .7wJJBE ) on the freenas, but with zero bytes. error message is rsync: mkstemp "here any filename".7wJBBE" failed: Operation not permitted
tried with rsync -r -a --no-perms, --no-u and --no-g, without everything but -r, but i just cant get rid of that. so rsync can make the file but not change it then....

at the moment my brain is deadlocked in circles and i need some advice to get it running again.

freenas is stable 11.1, the credential configured for the nfs mount root root/wheel, network is authorized, volume/dataset rights root/wheel, unix mode

afmobiwx

Dabbler
edit: forgot to mention that on the ubuntu machine i do the rsync on can manipulate the files on the freenas nfs share without problem. i can create, touch, edit, delete files. i just can not rsync. it creates the .filename.xppfrz temp files and that was it. configuring the share type as unix or windows makes no difference.

afmobiwx

Dabbler
edit again: i can still create, change, delete files on this share but cannot chmod for example. and cannot copy from wherever.

afmobiwx

Dabbler
works now. found the solution myself after three days. i deleted nfs share and dataset out of pure despair and created them new. ...and worked flawlessly from the first try. obviously there were leftovers on the dataset from the first tests when i tried to make a samba share, that mixed up the rights and could not get fixed. so, whoever finds this thread: always make new datasets and shares for every purpose, never reuse or change. once you SMBed, you cannot go back to nfs with this dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.