Cannot create Hyper-V VM on CIFS share on FreeNAS 11.2-U5

antony06

Cadet
I made a CIFS share and can access it and create files using a domain account. But when I want to create a hyper-v virtual machine on server 2019 I get the error:
vm error.PNG

Has anybody made it? Can post the config of: Directory Services, Storage permissions, Sharing SMB and Services SMB?

icsy7867

Contributor
Check your event logs. I would lean towards a windows permission error. You may need to actually add the computer account (not the user account) as permissions. I am not sure how hyper-v handles this.

Also, for testing, you could try an iSCSI target. That should definitely work

antony06

Cadet
Hi dlavigne, no I tried almost everything even giving permission to Everyone and to the hyper-v servers but nothing. icsy7876 I checked the logs and spent a lot of time trying every solution given at the first 2 search pages but nothing. So why I asked if anybody has made it. I am using iSCSI for years and it works, but I would prefer SMB. As a user I can r/w on the shares, but Hyper-V cannot.

icsy7867

Contributor
I don't run hyperv at home, but I do at work. I will try this if I get a second today.

icsy7867

Contributor
So this is interesting.

I have an iXsystems box that I use for networked time machine backups with a few free terabytes on it. The box is connected to our AD and I made a share that has the wheel group and a local freenas account as the owners, and I have added our domain admin groups as well as my workstations machine account to permissions with full permissions.

I am pretty sure this is a permissions issue but I am still taking a stab at it. So far I have tried...

"Domain Admin" Full Permissions - Failed to realize
Adding machine account to permissions (All permissions except full control) - Failed to realize
Adding machine account to permissions (Full Permission) - Failed to realize
Enabled Inheritable permissions -> Failed to add hard drive to VM.
Add "Everyone" from freenas box (Full Control) -> Failed to realize

As another test, we have several large Windows Server SMB shares. I did a similar test, adding AD workstation machine account to a share with full permissions as well as much AD user permissions and hyper-v was able to happily create a VM at this location with no issue.

antony06

Cadet
icsy7867 All of that is the same thing that I did. Let's say same environment same results. In addition I added the Delegation at the Freenas AD computer (as suggested in some forums).
delegation.PNG

antony06

Cadet
Tomorrow didn't happen, I was (am) too busy. During this week I will try and post the results.

thiagomespb

Cadet
1571056776998.png

I have this export problem, I made the adjustments like the tips above .. I ran the command "gpupdate / force" and it didn't work,

Does anyone have more tip?

Sea Monkeys1

Cadet
I am into the same error. The only way around the error was downgrade SMB to 2 and not SMB 3 in the config file.

Sea Monkeys1

Cadet
I am running into the same error. The only way around the error was downgrade SMB to 2 and not SMB 3 in the config file. ***

flotpg

Dabbler
Hey folks,

same here on two fresh FreeNAS-11.3-U1 boxes. I never was able to make this work.
I had the issue even on the first versions which support SMB Multichannel.

Speaking of that. Downgrading to SMB3 is not an option for me because we would loose SMB Multichannel support. Btw.I don't know where to set this in UI... (aux. parameters?)

Did anyone ever get this working?
- Hyper V VM stored on a FreeNAS SMB/CIFS share

Best Regards, Flo.

flotpg

Dabbler
If you place the VM files local and store the VHDX on FreeNAS SMB share you get the resiliency error:
"Remote SMB share does not support resiliency"
1585249598430.png

flotpg

Dabbler
How did EMC or Netapp implement this? Don’t they use samba too?

without resilience it wouldn’t work in smb2 mode too, right?