SOLVED Cannot connect to FreeNAS via Web Browser

Toryas

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm having trouble connecting to my FreeNAS box via web browser and also through the share on my Windows 7 PC. I have not turned the FreeNAS box on for over a month, and the prior IP Address was 192.168.0.19 - I connected successfully to this address previously.

Since turning it on again after the Christmas break, the IP address has changed to 192.168.0.26 ( I checked via connected devices on my router ). I tried to connect to the FreeNAS via 192.168.0.26 through Chrome and IE, but it returns the error "Cannot connect to 192.168.0.26".

I then try to connect to the share, which does not work. When troubleshooting, the problem found is "The Remote device or resource won't accept the connection".

Then I become stuck. Unfortunately I don't have a VGA cable at the moment to connect to the box, so I'm hoping there may be an easy solution without having to buy a new cable?

Kind Regards.

JohnK

Patron
Have you tried setting at static IP on your router for FreeNas to 192.168.0.19? Once you do, reboot your NAS and it should work.

Toryas

Cadet
Have you tried setting at static IP on your router for FreeNas to 192.168.0.19? Once you do, reboot your NAS and it should work.

That worked, thank you! Not sure why I didn't think of that before.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I wouldn't choose a static IP address that is in the range of the DHCP server on your router. Also if you can get to the GUI of FreeNAS, I'd change the IP address to a static one there, only there. Maybe pick something like 192.168.0.100 as an example. I use static IP addresses on most of my equipment, it makes working with the equipment very easy. Just write the addresses down in a file so you can look those up when you need to.

Just my two cents...

JohnK

Patron
I wouldn't choose a static IP address that is in the range of the DHCP server on your router. Also if you can get to the GUI of FreeNAS, I'd change the IP address to a static one there, only there. Maybe pick something like 192.168.0.100 as an example. I use static IP addresses on most of my equipment, it makes working with the equipment very easy. Just write the addresses down in a file so you can look those up when you need to.

Just my two cents...
Yes, I didn't go into IP address management. I use 99% static and my DHCP starts at 100. Don't set statics inside your DHCP range.
I set my FreeNas servers' static addressed on my router and has had no problems there ever. The moment I changed in on the router, the GUI showed that as the new address.

davidpsplace

Dabbler
I used your thread to resolve my connection problem. Thanks