Cannot boot, no such file or directory

Elmojo

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm sorry to drop in with such faint info, but I'm at a total loss here, and don't even know where to begin. I can't even tell tell what version this thing is running.
I've inherited the care of a FreeNAS machine from someone else, as part of a CPA office I manage. I know absolutely zero about FreeNAS, but this is what they are using for their file server. They called me Monday in a panic, saying that they can't access the server. They sent a photo, and I see a message that says (among other things):
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh

I've done some searches here, and it seems like maybe FreeNAS is corrupt somehow? They had a bad storm, but they said the machine had been shut down and unplugged prior to any power outages, so I'm not sure what could have happened.

I don't even know where to begin... any help?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
That's a really old version and is from the days before the fork.

FreeNAS became 2 projects... this one run by iX Systems and the other one, which was called NAS4Free and then renamed again to Xigmanas.

The disk you're working with there is UFS, which is no longer supported on FreeNAS (this fork and associated forum), so I think your best bet is to head over to Xigmanas and see if you can find some help there. https://www.xigmanas.com/

Elmojo

Cadet
Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the info. I'll try the other place to see if they can assist.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It may be as simple as building a boot stick of Xigmanas, booting from it and importing your pool... or it may be a great deal more complicated, depending on what's broken. Best of luck with it.

Elmojo

Cadet
So I've been over at the XigmaNAS forums (who are super helpful, by the way) and it appears that my install is indeed more in your alley than theirs.
I was able to determine that I'm running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 x64 on a Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF machine. It has a Core i3-3200, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.
Does that change things? Can you help with this?
I think all I need to do is install a newer version on a (not corrupt) USB drive, and copy over the config info from the old drive (if it's recoverable) to the new drive, right? I know it's not quite that simple, but that's the process that's been described to me, I just don't know how to carry that out.

sretalla