Cannot boot any Windows ISO (all linux ok)

Toynoy

Cadet
Hi,

I am currently using FreeNAS 11.2 stable.

I always get this error.

“Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM
Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive
.rfb unknown cli-code 97!”

So I tried these steps:

[jsung@freenas /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos]$ zfs create -V 32G -o refreservation=none name/vms-jails/wintest

Starting VM
[jsung@freenas /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos]$ sudo bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -H -w \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 3,ahci-cd,/mnt/name/media/windows10.iso \
-s 4,ahci-hd,/dev/zvol/name/vms-jails/wintest \
-s 5,virtio-net,tap10 \
-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,wait \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \
-l com1,stdio \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
win10

I have also tried using the GUI and it creates a similar thing but that does not work either. Other threads have talked about getting stuck on install but I can't even get to that part.

This all seems to work on different linux ISOs so what is the difference?

KrisBee

Wizard

Toynoy

Cadet
Ah interesting. Do you have an idea of how I upload this iso as well on boot? Do I do it separately or create two cd drives?

KrisBee

Wizard
Yes, you need to have a second cd device attached to your windows VM for the the driver iso. This should all be doable via new UI in FN11.2 Just do a forum search for further hints. P.S. It works with Linux, as the virtio drivers are part of most modern distros.

Toynoy

Cadet
Thanks for the tip. I just got a chance to give this ago and sadly it's happening with the virtio ISO:

Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM 1
Boot Failed. EFI Misc Device

I spent a few hours last night looking for tips on the forum but it seemed like everyone had a slightly different reason. (with some being a chipset or motherboard issue which I don't think is related to me since I have Linux VMs starting no problem.

So, I decided to go with your other option and merge them and build my own ISO and did these steps:
(https://www.vultr.com/docs/windows-custom-iso-with-virtio-drivers)

1. Get the latest binary VirtIO drivers for Windows, packaged as an ISO file, from https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/stable-virtio/virtio-win.iso
  2. Make a folder: c:\custom.
  3. Extract your Windows Server ISO to: c:\custom\winserver with a compression tool such as 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/.
  4. Extract the VirtIO ISO to c:\custom\winserver\virtio.
  5. Use an ISO mastering tool to create your custom slipstream ISO. In general, the following mastering options are needed:
  • Filesystem: UDF, Include Hidden Files, Include System Files
  • Make image bootable.
  • Emulation Type: none
  • Boot Image: C:\custom\winserver\boot\etfsboot.com
  • Platform ID: 80x86
  • Developer ID: Microsoft Corporation
  • Sectors to load: 8

I used Imgburn on Windows 10 to create this btw.

Loaded this in to the primary CD boot device and rebooted and have sadly, still got

Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

Any ideas? Is there a log somewhere I can dig out for this? Really scratching my head over this.

Reactions: ric

ric

Contributor
Im having the same problem, even though with the latest FN update. With Linux os it's working fine.

Were you able to find the solution to this?

ændrük

Cadet
The Windows ISO prompts with “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…” for only a few seconds. If you miss it, the virtual machine will log “Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM” and then do nothing.

The Windows ISO prompts with “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…” for only a few seconds. If you miss it, the virtual machine will log “Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM” and then do nothing.
Incase anyone stumbles across this post and is having trouble installing windows isos and is a noob like me, very annoyingly, if you don't instantly open the vnc and press a random button, the iso will not install and will fail. Thank you for the above post for saving me.